Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #1  

MFWD

Silver Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC35D with cab, a 2007 New Holland Skid Steer and a 1970's 154 Cub Lo-Boy, 2016 John Deere XUV 550 Gator

Hello,
I have a question about Cub Lo-Boy tractors.......the ones at least in the 1970's, not with the offset steering. I cut my own firewood from my property and most of the time use my 16HP garden tractor (without a mowing deck) and a small trailer to haul it back to my splitting area. I also have a New Holland 35Hp 4wd tractor with FEL, backhoe and cab. It's kind of big to get to some of the places I go on my land. The only problem I have with the garden tractor is that (even with chains on) sometimes it will slip and spin if the load is real heavy because the tractor doesn't weigh enough. So I thought I might be able to get a tractor in size somewhere in between the (2) I have. I got to looking on the net and ran across a Cub Lo-boy. They weigh 1500 pounds but most are around 14HP, maybe one model has 16 or 18. This doesn't seem like much power for that heavy of tractor considering that my garden tractor has 16HP. So could they handle the job of hauling a load of firewood with that little HP? Are they a dependable tractor or prone to lots of problems. If anybody out there owns one, please give me the scoop !!!! Thanks !!!!

MFWD

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #2  
On a tractor, weight gives you pulling power, as long as you have the gearing to keep the engine running. More HP just lets you pull it faster.

I spent many years using a JD Model LA of about 2200 lbs and 14 hp. It would outpull any riding mower, no contest at all.

Bruce

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #3  
The Cubs will have bigger tires than a garden tractor, therefore better traction. And don't be fooled by low horsepower numbers, they had the weight and gearing to get work done. My neighbor has a Cub 184 with a loader, and I have watched it perform some jobs that I wouldn't have believed it could do.

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #4  
They are dependable. Any engine mechanic can tune one and parts are available. Wheel weights will help with traction.

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #5  
I think you would be pleased with the Cub, or any other small older tractor. Like the other posters have said, the hp ratings don't mean much. I have an Allis Chalmers G-10hp-that will outplow any garden tractor and most compacts with a 1 botton 12 inch plow.

Will

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #6  
The Cub Lo-Boy's I've seen were mowing tractors so they were low to the ground and had turf tires. You'd have to decide if that would be an issue for you at your place. An alternative would be something like a Farmall Cub (not the Lo-Boy) or similar Allis Chalmers, etc. models. They were about the same size and hp as the Lo-Boy, but had farm tires and more ground clearance.

Another way to go would be an early Kubota, Yanmar or Shibura. That would get you a diesel engine, but might cost a bit more than an old gasser.

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #7  
i'd take an older one with the offset before the lawnmower style...

Hello,
I have a question about Cub Lo-Boy tractors.......the ones at least in the 1970's, not with the offset steering. I cut my own firewood from my property and most of the time use my 16HP garden tractor (without a mowing deck) and a small trailer to haul it back to my splitting area. I also have a New Holland 35Hp 4wd tractor with FEL, backhoe and cab. It's kind of big to get to some of the places I go on my land. The only problem I have with the garden tractor is that (even with chains on) sometimes it will slip and spin if the load is real heavy because the tractor doesn't weigh enough. So I thought I might be able to get a tractor in size somewhere in between the (2) I have. I got to looking on the net and ran across a Cub Lo-boy. They weigh 1500 pounds but most are around 14HP, maybe one model has 16 or 18. This doesn't seem like much power for that heavy of tractor considering that my garden tractor has 16HP. So could they handle the job of hauling a load of firewood with that little HP? Are they a dependable tractor or prone to lots of problems. If anybody out there owns one, please give me the scoop !!!! Thanks !!!!

MFWD

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #8  
My first tractor was a Cub 154 LoBoy. That one looked like an overgrown Cub Cadet. It had large turfs on the rear and ribbed fronts. It had plenty of ground clearance. The turfs were helpless in mud or snow, but with chains it went more like a 4WD tractor. My main gripe was that it had no 3 point hitch. It did have a belly mower and very sturdy front blade. Unfortunately the same rockshaft was utilized to raise and lower the mower and the blade. Couldn't have both mounted at the same time. Switching between the deck and blade was an awful chore.

For the most part it was reliable and when it had a problem it was something I could fix (and I'm no great mechanic).

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #9  
I have the old style Lo-Boy that I use to plow snow, mow walking trails and haul firewood on our hilly property. It is plenty of tractor for those chores. There is a "group" on Yahoo - ihcubloboyseries : IH CUB LoBoy Series - 154, 185, 184 - that covers these tractors and might provide some more info for you.

/ Is a Cub Lo-boy a good tractor #10  

I also have a New Holland 35Hp 4wd tractor with FEL, backhoe and cab. It's kind of big to get to some of the places I go on my land.
MFWD

Hmmm....where are you going that you can't drive a TC35? A good friend of mine also has a TC35...and it seems small enough to fit up a squirrel's @$$. All he can talk about is getting something bigger.
A cub 154 lo-boy (while being a cool old machine) is just another compact utility tractor...and it's wheelbase is only about 10" shorter than your TC35...and I doubt the cub will turn as tight as your TC35.

I would recommend taking your chainsaw out and cutting down some saplings so you can get where you want to go...or just run over them.

-Phillip