3-Point Hitch JD 2040

/ JD 2040 #1  

purleyflash

Tractor
John Deere 2040
I have a JD 2040 and have only used it to mow my place. Sometimes I would like to use it to pull around a utility trailer while working. What all is necessary for the tractor in order to pull the trailer?

/ JD 2040 #2  
G'day mate & welcome to TBN.

I'm not quite understanding what you're asking... Obviously you have a tractor that pulls things. Are you asking where the tow-bar is or if you require trailer lights?

/ JD 2040 #3  
Also not understanding the question. If you'd like, just post a picture of the back of the tractor and another of the front of the trailer. That should make it simple enough to gather what your question is.

-Phillip

/ JD 2040
G'day mate & welcome to TBN.

I'm not quite understanding what you're asking... Obviously you have a tractor that pulls things. Are you asking where the tow-bar is or if you require trailer lights?

I don't know what I need to attach to my tractor in order to pull a trailer, you mention a tow-bar I guess that is what I need to buy. Is that all that is required?

/ JD 2040 #5  
Does your tractor have a drawbar??? That would be the thing that sticks out about 8" from under the rear axle and has a hole in the end.

IF it does, then depending on the trailer, you need the appropriate sized ball that bolts into that hole.

If you dont have that, you need to either get one, or a trailer hitch for your 3PH. Google it and you can see pleanty of pictures.

/ JD 2040 #6  
And you've just been introduced to the fact that different areas/countries call the same thing by different names. Aussies call it a tow-bar, others call it a drawbar, etc... It's fun finding out what things are called. Don't be embarassed though, it's all a learning experience. I never knew what a chain harrow was until helpful people on TBN came to my rescue; even then there were a few alternative names depending on where in the world the answer came from.

This is what I've got on the back of my JD 4105, there's no ball hitch on mine but that's only because I haven't put one on there as anything I tow uses a drop-pin. Many implements use this method.
IMG_0083.jpg

According to TractorData.com the JD 2040 is a European built JD (interesting how it found its way to Texas... but I digress) so perhaps a 'drawbar' wasn't part of the original fit. Anyway, you will note that there are rectangular holes on either side if you need to attach D-shackles for safety chains.

I hope that this helps.

/ JD 2040 #7  
And you've just been introduced to the fact that different areas/countries call the same thing by different names. Aussies call it a tow-bar, others call it a drawbar, etc... It's fun finding out what things are called. Don't be embarassed though, it's all a learning experience. I never knew what a chain harrow was until helpful people on TBN came to my rescue; even then there were a few alternative names depending on where in the world the answer came from.

This is what I've got on the back of my JD 4105, there's no ball hitch on mine but that's only because I haven't put one on there as anything I tow uses a drop-pin. Many implements use this method.
View attachment 318901

According to TractorData.com the JD 2040 is a European built JD (interesting how it found its way to Texas... but I digress) so perhaps a 'drawbar' wasn't part of the original fit. Anyway, you will note that there are rectangular holes on either side if you need to attach D-shackles for safety chains.

I hope that this helps.

The American 2040 he has is a 40hp 3cyl utility tractor, which is completely unrelated to the 2040/2040S sold in Europe, although they were both built in Mannheim Germany.

As to the drawbar, it's part #2 in the attached picture and will be located on the rear/bottom of the tractor. RWP2333________UN01JAN94.gif

In the extended position it should stick out 14-18". If you tractor doesn't have this you'll need to order one from Deere, PN R61126. Might also need some of the related brackets, pins, etc if they are missing too. Once you have all that setup it's a simple as matching the right size trailer ball or a pin hitch depending on what your tractor has. A pic of the rear of the tractor and of the trailer would be very helpful.