Tractor
    John Deere

Default JD 2040

I have a JD 2040 and have only used it to mow my place. Sometimes I would like to use it to pull around a utility trailer while working. What all is necessary for the tractor in order to pull the trailer?

Tractor
    JD 4105 / JD D110

Default Re: JD 2040

G'day mate & welcome to TBN.

I'm not quite understanding what you're asking... Obviously you have a tractor that pulls things. Are you asking where the tow-bar is or if you require trailer lights?

Also not understanding the question. If you'd like, just post a picture of the back of the tractor and another of the front of the trailer. That should make it simple enough to gather what your question is.

-Phillip
    SPIDER TRACTOR: '95 John Deere 5200 MFWD making around 60hp--12.4-24 8ply Goodyear R1 front tires--18.4-26 10ply Goodyear R2 fluid filled rear tires--Tires are set 8' 2" wide for maximum stability on hills--540 Loader with forks and custom fabricated bucket.

Tractor
    John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by Wagtail View Post
    G'day mate & welcome to TBN.

I'm not quite understanding what you're asking... Obviously you have a tractor that pulls things. Are you asking where the tow-bar is or if you require trailer lights?
    I don't know what I need to attach to my tractor in order to pull a trailer, you mention a tow-bar I guess that is what I need to buy. Is that all that is required?

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Does your tractor have a drawbar??? That would be the thing that sticks out about 8" from under the rear axle and has a hole in the end.

IF it does, then depending on the trailer, you need the appropriate sized ball that bolts into that hole.

If you dont have that, you need to either get one, or a trailer hitch for your 3PH. Google it and you can see pleanty of pictures.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    JD 4105 / JD D110

And you've just been introduced to the fact that different areas/countries call the same thing by different names. Aussies call it a tow-bar, others call it a drawbar, etc... It's fun finding out what things are called. Don't be embarassed though, it's all a learning experience. I never knew what a chain harrow was until helpful people on TBN came to my rescue; even then there were a few alternative names depending on where in the world the answer came from.

This is what I've got on the back of my JD 4105, there's no ball hitch on mine but that's only because I haven't put one on there as anything I tow uses a drop-pin. Many implements use this method.
    -img_0083-jpg

According to TractorData.com the JD 2040 is a European built JD (interesting how it found its way to Texas... but I digress) so perhaps a 'drawbar' wasn't part of the original fit. Anyway, you will note that there are rectangular holes on either side if you need to attach D-shackles for safety chains.

I hope that this helps.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

Quote Originally Posted by Wagtail View Post
    And you've just been introduced to the fact that different areas/countries call the same thing by different names. Aussies call it a tow-bar, others call it a drawbar, etc... It's fun finding out what things are called. Don't be embarassed though, it's all a learning experience. I never knew what a chain harrow was until helpful people on TBN came to my rescue; even then there were a few alternative names depending on where in the world the answer came from.

This is what I've got on the back of my JD 4105, there's no ball hitch on mine but that's only because I haven't put one on there as anything I tow uses a drop-pin. Many implements use this method.
    -img_0083-jpg

According to TractorData.com the JD 2040 is a European built JD (interesting how it found its way to Texas... but I digress) so perhaps a 'drawbar' wasn't part of the original fit. Anyway, you will note that there are rectangular holes on either side if you need to attach D-shackles for safety chains.

I hope that this helps.
    The American 2040 he has is a 40hp 3cyl utility tractor, which is completely unrelated to the 2040/2040S sold in Europe, although they were both built in Mannheim Germany.

As to the drawbar, it's part #2 in the attached picture and will be located on the rear/bottom of the tractor. -rwp2333________un01jan94-gif

In the extended position it should stick out 14-18". If you tractor doesn't have this you'll need to order one from Deere, PN R61126. Might also need some of the related brackets, pins, etc if they are missing too. Once you have all that setup it's a simple as matching the right size trailer ball or a pin hitch depending on what your tractor has. A pic of the rear of the tractor and of the trailer would be very helpful.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265