4X4 downhill traction issue

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue
Made some progress this week on the brake project.Dropped the tractor off at the local ATV dealer so they could help me figure out the best type fittings and order correct length brake lines.A buddy at work worked on truing up the discs on the brake lathe as they wobbled a bit(took the discs off and trued the spacer rings) and were slightly out of orbit on the roll.I made the caliper brackets from some 4" by 1/4" thick angle iron I already had.Only took me 10hrs to make them and get them painted :) The first pic is shot from the rear of the left front wheel.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #122  
Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm curious to see how you rig up the master cylinder and if you use the same brake pedal. This thing may stand on it's nose.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #123  
Neat project and looks good. I don't know what the connectivity is between the front and rear wheels on your machine. If it is solid (as opposed to some sort of fluid) then the brakes you apply on the front wheels will also brake the rear wheels while you are in 4wd through the drivetrain. That works in spades on large farm tractors. At some point I begin to wonder if you are investing too much in a small machine , but then we all have our hobbies and ... hey looks like a workin' machine !

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #124  
As usual Locknut.....impressive work....

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm curious to see how you rig up the master cylinder and if you use the same brake pedal. This thing may stand on it's nose.

The cylinder has two line outputs,one for each caliper.It will be actuated with a hand lever,yet to be fabricated.Not knowing how much torsional twisting force the axle housing will take,I will not be trying to stand this thing on its nose.

Neat project and looks good. I don't know what the connectivity is between the front and rear wheels on your machine. If it is solid (as opposed to some sort of fluid) then the brakes you apply on the front wheels will also brake the rear wheels while you are in 4wd through the drivetrain. That works in spades on large farm tractors. At some point I begin to wonder if you are investing too much in a small machine , but then we all have our hobbies and ... hey looks like a workin' machine !

Yea,that's the problem,there is no mechanical link between the two axles as the front is hydraulically driven and has very little holding resistance.And yes,it's a fairly expensive project but the consequences of a runaway tractor downhill can be much more costly.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #128  
Outstanding work. I love to see guys overcoming problems with their own ingenuity.

Nice progress.

Your brake caliper is on the wrong side.

You mean the bleeder screw on the bottom? I can still bleed em out and after the air is out it won't make any difference.Or,I'll check tonite to see if they will swap sides.

Last edited: