4X4 downhill traction issue

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #11  
Well,I hope it does.Didn't want to sink a lot of money into tires as an experiment.Found some Maxxis 938's 23/10/12 for the back and 2 X-Trac 16/6.50/8's for the front.Hope they don't rip the grass up too much.I'll probably fill all four tires(front end gets pretty light in a couple spots right before it gets to the top-incline goes up to 32 deg) as the big barrel of WW fluid sits right next to the tire machine at work.

Please let us know how it works out, I an curious to know if this improves the situation..thanks.

james K0UA

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue
When going downhill, a lot of the weight transfers to the front axle and off the rear, where the brakes and traction are located. Adding 100 pounds a foot or two behind the rear axle may make a lot of difference downhill, but when you have to go back up the hill, the front end will be light.

Or you could plant flowers on the hill and quit mowing it.

:)

Bruce
Yes,the weight issue is a double-edged sword so that's out.

Plant flowers? Nope,hill climbing is more fun than watching flowers grow :D

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #13  
The better tires should improve traction. Two other common sense things you can do is to go slow and only cut when the grass is dry.

The better tires should improve traction. Two other common sense things you can do is to go slow and only cut when the grass is dry.

Since you brought up the "dry"factor I've noticed that when this clay ground gets super dry it also gets hard as concrete and the tires will not get a good bite.The tractor I've been using has bar tires and it seems that some moisture in the ground works best to get that good bite.Whether the grass is dry or tall and sopping wet makes little difference.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #15  
Since you brought up the "dry"factor I've noticed that when this clay ground gets super dry it also gets hard as concrete and the tires will not get a good bite.The tractor I've been using has bar tires and it seems that some moisture in the ground works best to get that good bite.Whether the grass is dry or tall and sopping wet makes little difference.

Just noticed you are from Greensburg. I live 20 miles from you! :) Surprised to hear that wet grass makes little difference. Know what you mean about the clay ground around this area. Need a jackhammer to dig a hole!

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #16  

rekees said "when the grass is dry" and from my experience that does make a difference. Wet vegetation can be very slippery. You are the one sliding down the hill right.:D

Just noticed you are from Greensburg. I live 20 miles from you! :) Surprised to hear that wet grass makes little difference. Know what you mean about the clay ground around this area. Need a jackhammer to dig a hole!

Howdy,neighbor!

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #18  
If the tires have directional tread, maybe you could back down the hill?

rekees said "when the grass is dry" and from my experience that does make a difference. Wet vegetation can be very slippery. You are the one sliding down the hill right.:D

Well yea,but this is the tractor I just acquired with Carlisle Turf Savers on it.Wet grass with these tires would be an accident waiting to happen.My above comment was in reference to the bar tires on the other tractor.Bar tires work best when they can sink into the soil and grab something to hold onto.They don't work real well on steep hills when the ground is hard as a rock as the suface area is low and the lugs can't find a bite.In this scenario turfs would probably be better,especially if it's bare dirt or little vegetation.

Here's what it looks like from the top
If the tires have directional tread, maybe you could back down the hill?

That sounds like fun.You go first! :laughing: Here's what it looks like from the top.Let me turn the tractor around for ya;

I would rather swap the wheels side-to-side than back down.I like to see where I'm going.