4X4 downhill traction issue

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #51  
What he means is when you turn the front wheels on his tractor in the forward direction faster he hears a light clicking sound. So the wheels can free wheel not providing the four wheel braking that you have with a mfwd.

I reread what you told him to do. I see you said have the wheels turning slowly and try turning the front faster. It make sense now. I thought he juat jacked up the front and tried turning it with the engine shut off, a clicking sound would be normal then.

I wonder if that hydro is supposed to perform like that? I think he needs more weight for sure now.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #52  
I reread what you told him to do. I see you said have the wheels turning slowly and try turning the front faster. It make sense now. I thought he juat jacked up the front and tried turning it with the engine shut off, a clicking sound would be normal then.

I wonder if that hydro is supposed to perform like that? I think he needs more weight for sure now.

I don't know enough to determine whether adding more weight will help or not. Hopefully the new tires will help, other than that I suspect the machine is at its design limits.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #53  
I don't know enough to determine whether adding more weight will help or not. Hopefully the new tires will help, other than that I suspect the machine is at its design limits.

I just think since he can make it up the hill with those tires they should be good enough to come down. I think it is the weight is transferring too much of the back. On the other hand the 4wd is not working coming down of the hill either. I guess we will find out.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #54  
I just happened to think that when you cut a turn it would have to free wheel or it would tear up the grass.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #55  
I just happened to think that when you cut a turn it would have to free wheel or it would tear up the grass.

That depends on the variable hydraulic valve which is tied to the steering linkage to adjust the wheel speeds. I don't know how accurate mine is but it works very well as I can make smooth turns without squirming on concrete or asphalt.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue
Got the rear tires today,mounted and 5 gal WW fluid in each one.With 12psi the circumference was 3 in larger than the turfs,so I aired them down down to 5psi and lost an inch.Still 2 in larger,but drove it around a bit and noticed no ill effects or gear wind-up or tire scuff in the grass.Hopefully,the new fronts will be a tad larger so the proportionality will be close to the original turf tires.The original outside wheel track is 37.5" and I do some sidehill spots,so I added some 1.5" wheel spacers.No hubcentrics to mess with so an easy install.Front tires will be here tomorrow.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #57  
What kind of tires did you go with?

I just think since he can make it up the hill with those tires they should be good enough to come down.

One would think so,but in reality it doesn't appear to work.I do have a short 30 deg slope in the back yard and did back up it with no problem.The hydro seems to have equal grunt in reverse.From what I was told long ago on 4WD systems with open carriers as long as the machine is MOVING equal torque is applied to each wheel till such time as maximum resistance is met,then the differential decides which side has the least resistance and applies all the torque to that wheel.

What kind of tires did you go with?

Maxxis 938's for the back.Not quite as wide as the turfs,but should get a lot better bite.The lugs are about 5/8" tall.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #60  
Maxxis 938's for the back.Not quite as wide as the turfs,but should get a lot better bite.The lugs are about 5/8" tall.

i just serviced a 4 Wheeler last week. The minimum tire pressure was 3.2psi and the max was 4psi. So you may be able to go lower on your tire pressure.