4X4 downhill traction issue

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #1  

locknut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota
I recently picked up a Simplicity Prestige AWD tractor.It has turf tires on it now and climbs steep grades up to 30 deg even with open carrier differentials.But,downhill runs produce sliding and runaway conditions.I'm putting aggressive ATV type tires on it and debating whether adding fluid to the tires would help any on the downhill runs.Thoughts?

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #2  
Are we sure the tires are slipping (skidding) on the grass or is something else happening transmission/belt wise?

James K0UA

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue
No,no tranny or belt issue.I observed carefully what happens on several downhill runs where I had room and control over a runaway.The only way to try to slow it down is backpeddling the hydro but it comes to a point where one front and one rear will lose traction and those two tires will actually start turning backwards,and then you're done,out of control.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #4  
Well I guess it would be worth a try to load the tires then. Of course your more aggressive tread on the new tires may fix the problem in itself. Dang hills anyway.. I got one I cant mow very well either(safely) with the little JD mower. I can go up and down easily with the rotary cutter and the Kioti, but it is grass, and the results aren't the most aesthetic.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #5  
I assume there is no diff lock on the rear or you would have tried that?

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #6  
I bet running the atv tires at a very low psi will solve your hill problem. I forget what I run my atv at, but it has a special pressure gauge for like 1 to 8 psi.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #7  
If you are trying to mow at wide open throttle going down the hill and then using the brakes to slow down I just don't think you will find a tire to allow you to do that. With most tractors when going down hill you select a low gear, reduce the throttle, AND KEEP YOUR FOOT OF the brake pedal. The engine is what slows the tractor down. One good way to get hurt very quickly is to have a loaded trailer behind a tractor and apply the brakes when going down hill.

Another is, and this one is discussed here frequently is someone asking if a small tractor can carry round bales. One of the most interesting rides I have ever seen anyone take on a tractor was on a small JD with a round bale on front and one on the rear going down a hill. The individual was fortunate he had enough level ground before the woods to get stopped. He never moved round bales again with that tractor.

Think of it as a car when it hydroplanes. No control you are just along for the ride.

I assume there is no diff lock on the rear or you would have tried that?

I can't imagine why they designed this tractor without one.If it did,there would be no sliding issue.I've been using a Kubota GR with the locking rear and it sticks like glue to this hill,even after a heavy rain,very soft ground and 8-inch tall grass that's sopping wet.But,this tractor has a very weak hydro and climbs 8-10 ft and gives up,and that's when the fluid is cool.Worse as it warms up.The Prestige just claws and digs its way to the top like a wild animal.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #9  
When going downhill, a lot of the weight transfers to the front axle and off the rear, where the brakes and traction are located. Adding 100 pounds a foot or two behind the rear axle may make a lot of difference downhill, but when you have to go back up the hill, the front end will be light.

Or you could plant flowers on the hill and quit mowing it.

:)

Bruce

I bet running the atv tires at a very low psi will solve your hill problem. I forget what I run my atv at, but it has a special pressure gauge for like 1 to 8 psi.

Well,I hope it does.Didn't want to sink a lot of money into tires as an experiment.Found some Maxxis 938's 23/10/12 for the back and 2 X-Trac 16/6.50/8's for the front.Hope they don't rip the grass up too much.I'll probably fill all four tires(front end gets pretty light in a couple spots right before it gets to the top-incline goes up to 32 deg) as the big barrel of WW fluid sits right next to the tire machine at work.