Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD2320

Default TILLING VS PLOW AND HARROW

Hello
    I have a JD 2320, with a FEL, 54" inch front snow blower and all is good. Trying to decide to by a tiller or try a 2 bottom plow and harrow for 1+/- acre garden. I much appreciate any feedback. The land was wooded until last year when I cleared it. I have to say I would buy a Timber wolf log splitter any day of the week.
    Coginchaug (means long swamp)
    South Central Ct

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I don't know your tractor exactly but I believe it is in the lower 20's for horsepower? If so you probably should consider a one bottom. I've heard 20hp per bottom. I have 38hp and a 2-14 will give it a good workout.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Also the roots will be giving you issues if they weren't cleared well. This would be with with either the plow or the tiller.

Tractor
    JD2320

Default Re: TILLING VS PLOW AND HARROW

Hi,
    Thank you, that makes sense, I did a little tilling with a small walk behind Troy Built and didn't find any roots, but then I wasn't very deep

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

If you've got tree roots buy a 1 bottom plow and RENT a tiller.
    For example Sunbelt rentals rents a tiller for $55/day. Your probably going to use it twice a year.

I bought a plow and PLANNED on renting a tiller, but a good Craigs list deal turned up so I bought the tiller, for less than a new 5' disc harrow.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135

The only time I use my turning plow is for breaking new ground. After the land is turned I allow it to break up during the winter. I used to use a disc to prepare the land for lists/beds. Now I use the tiller. I have a 72" tiller. It takes no time to get the soil ready for planing using the tiller. My disc waits for larger project than the garden. Here is a food plot I prepared that way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  
    Beware of the barrenness of a busy life....Socrates

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Buy the tiller...forget the plow. With the tiller you can bounce over roots and rocks or obstacles and the surface will remain fairly smooth. A plow will leave clumps of dirt or roots and grass and be difficult to smooth. If I was doing hundreds of acres of hayfields in the stony glacial till of New England, I would own a tiller and never touch the ground with a plow and harrow. I have done both and in soil like yours the tiller wins without exception.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    NH T-1520 HST, JD 5210 2WD, Terramite T5C

Plowing is a directional move, no? Lotta driving around with a 1-bottom that I agree would be the most I'd pull with a tractor in that power range. A bit of an offset may be required to space passes if the tractor's wheels determine your exact path, & they likely might. Disc after all that, ... and it might not look like a garden to me .. unless maybe you plant from the 3-point too. So, final pass, ... tiller anyway? Yes, rent one to use only twice a year and let other needs determine which attachments, and in which order you add more stuff.

Why I commented:
    I just ran the sub-soiler across my tiny, 1/4 ac (if that) sand dune of a food plot. It's barren save for the expected smattering of weeds, since I worked but didn't plant it last year. Ruts set my spacing, and toggle stabilizers didn't exactly invite me to fuss with them. Second pass with the disc was cross-wise to the initial 'fluffing' of a sort & backing-over to go both ways with the disc down. Ok, I have a 60" tiller that my tractor (~28hp, PTO) should manage in soft sand and I'm kicking myself for not just hooking it up first. (New tractor, <4hrs on it). I'm still 'lumpy', a ways yet from planting & just missed a rain I wish I'd been ahead of.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy plows or discs right away for just the 'garden' if I wouldn't use them elsewhere in the 'near'. It nice to have a tiller, but, say renting one will get the job done for now & could get one a feel for it, say a 48" that'd maneuver to do flower beds by the house without knocking the porch off it. If you want a splitter & a head start on next Winter, it seems you know what you like. Ground-working tools could happen later as good deals come along. JMO

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

I have the same tractor as you. I have a cultivator, which sees no real use. Honestly, I think the bottom plow, harrow is old school stuff unless your doing 5 plus acres. Over the last two years I've tilled about 3 acres of land that had never been touched. Most of it is for long and wide tree lines and also a large(too large) garden. My suggestion is pick up a 60" King Kutter tiller from TSC for $1500. Best money spent. Do some reading on how to set up the slip clutch(first thing). On unbroken ground it is pretty slow going, don't try and bury the tiller either. Go deeper with subsequent passes. Roots and rocks won't stop it but will slow you down. I'm getting a little over confident with mine now, I knocked down some 3" willow trees and roots yesterday, very slowly though. I would not attempt the 4" ones even after my neighbour dared me. It definitely maximum size for the jd 2320 but it can handle it. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

A tiller is the only way to go. If your using soil ammendments like mushroom soil or manure or compost it will do a great job of mixing it in. They also work great for lawn or pasture renovation. Just set it so that it only goes down a couple of inches and your new seed will get a start on soil rather than old grass.
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast