How to make a tractor pay for itself?

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #1  

okfarris

Tractor
jd
Looking at buying a 50 or 60 hp tractor with cab. I spent too many days as a kid on a open air tractor in the dust. I really don't need a tractor that much, but I do need it for mowing a couple of commercial acres and I can use the FEL and box blade when building some buildings. I usually build a new building once every 18 months.

I would would be interested in finding a way to make the tractor pay for itself. I have time to mow, but I have found that most of the "commercial" brush hog mowers are using 35 hp tractors and charge about $40 an hour and to be honest, I don't think they can make the tractor pay for itself at that rate.

What are other things that can be done and the going rate for the services?

Thanks

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #2  
Just curious...if you "really don't need a tractor that much"...why are you considering such a large one?

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #4  
And if he is building a new building every 18 mos..why even mess with a tractor...hire it done...for that little bit.
Unless he is building it for a customer and is looking for the tractor to do sitework...

Aaron Z

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #5  
Geesh.

Welcome to TBN okfarris, btw.

He even put his question in the correct sub forum and you guys still haven't cut him any slack.

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #6  
If you mow for 2,000 hours a year at $40/hour it should pay for itself in a few years if you accept minimum wage for yourself.

But if YOU want $50/hr for your time it ain't going to happen at $40/hr.

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #7  
From a newbie perspective lease it out for jobs but let someone else use it. Say 125 a day? On 180 days use you pull some 22k. But after warranty put extended warranty insurance. Put a remote GPS box on. And rent it ? Just a thought. It is an interesting post. Let us know how you fare? Thanks. CG

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #8  
Unless he is building it for a customer and is looking for the tractor to do sitework...

Aaron Z

Yep, maybe that's what he's doing...still with that much construction going on it seems his time would be better spent on the big investment or pay day...the buildings....but what do I know ?

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #9  
The fine folks in the Ag. Econ. Department at Oklahoma State conduct periodic surveys to determine custom rates paid/received. The most recent survey results are here: http://oces.okstate.edu/kay/ag/CustomRates%202011-2012.pdf.

This will give you an idea of the services performed/hired by farmers. Most of the activities involve field operations with implements that require more horsepower than that provided by a utility tractor.

BTW, other studies indicate that custom rates often do not cover the total cost (operating and ownership) of providing machinery services.

Steve

/ How to make a tractor pay for itself? #10  
It's not going to pay for itself unless you jump through some of the hoops mentioned above. It's a piece of mind issue and mental health issue and what price can be put on that? If the wife needs a new pair of shoes, she just buys them and doesn't attempt to rationalize it.

Buy the tractor, call it good and maybe think of buying attachments for it.