Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months

/ Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I new it would happen someday...

OEM AC Delco Freedom battery replaced today in Mom's 2001 Toyota.

After 12 years and 5 months... it was too weak to start.

It has the glued down sealed case so no practical way to add water that I know of.

Went to buy a replacement and learned Delco no longer offers the premium "Green Dot" battery anymore... they were made in the USA and now China and Mexico...

Any bets the new Delco will last 12+ years?

/ Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months #4  
That old Battery should be chromed and mounted.

/ Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months #5  
I am guessing the replacement wont go quite that long:) My brother had an old Wal-Mart battery go 10 years in a pickup truck one time. The original Kubota battery in my B7500 went 8, and was still starting good when it left my place. Sometimes they fool you.

/ Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months #6  
The battery in my 03 Mahindra lasted over 9 years with a maintainer on it! It was the OEM battery, don't recall the make, but every year it got a drink of distilled water whether it was thirsty or not!

/ Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months #7  
My wife's 2008 Toyota car had a service plan. In early 2012 they said battery failed the test. Wanted us to buy a new Toyota battery. I said yawn... whatever we have triple a besides why would I buy one of your batteries when they only last 4 years. (that gets them steamed) Still going strong after another winter since the proposed battery apocalypse haha. I hope to have your battery luck in all my stuff because that is pretty good.

/ Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months #8  
I cant say for positive that I have had a battery last that long, but I do seem to get good service out of them.

In my kubota, which is a 2005 model bought in feb 06 is still on the original battery and no hints of it dying any time soon, so thats 7+ years and counting.

And my last truck was a 2003 chevy, I boutght in 2005 with original batter still in it and 50k miles. I put another hard 50k on it with plowing snow (really bad on battery) and towing my kubota. I traded it on 2011. So since it was most likely sold in 2002, thats 9 years.

And the wifes car purchased new in 08, so thats 5.

12 is quite a feat for sure. Congrats on that and I hope the one in my kubota makes it that long.

/ Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months #9  
The battery in my 2000 Toyota Tundra which was bought new in October 1999 still has the original battery. That's 13 years and 8 months. My 1996 Toyota Avalon and my 1999 Toyota Camry had the original batteries go almost 10 years.

/ Replaced battery today after 12 years and 5 months #10  
I bought my Ford 3910 in September of 2006 and it still has the same battery. I thought at the time the battery looked aged but it is still starting just fine. I did replace the cables a month ago due to the positive terminal being corroded 100% through. The battery is about twice the size of a normal vehicle battery so I would hate to know what it will cost to replace it.
I have had to jump start it a few times when it was either super cold or a key or light had been left on. Come to think of it I had a series of a few weeks in the summer of 2010 I had to jump start it quite a bit too but it seemed to remedy itself.

My 2007 Ford Ranger got a battery replacement in the winter of 2011 as it was starting to drain overnight to the point it started slow, wouldn't start at all if a phone was charging in it overnight.
My wifes 2005 Mazda MPV got a battery replacement in the early winter of 2011 for the same reasons. Her vehicle gets more attention when problems start to surface as I don't want to leave her stranded. A stranded wife IS NOT a happy wife!