Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

Default Re: L4610HSTC A/C not cooling

Norm,
    The A/C condenser should be seperate and mounted upwind of the radiator. A/C Can make the Engine temp hotter due to the warmer air coming off of the A/C condenser.

On the origional problem. One possibility could be moisture in the A/C system causing the expansion valve to ice up and the system to build excessive head pressure which will load the engine more, loss of cooling, and more heat thrown off of the condenser into the radiator.

All of the above is assuming a front monted condenser and not an all in one type of unit on the cab.

Elite Member

You may be right, however on my car and in my A/C book the condenser is mounted downstream of the airflow and gets the hot air coming off the radiator. That is, assuming that at 0-5 mph the airflow is coming from the fan rather than outside. A few years ago, my A/C quit blowing cold, and I found that the only problem was that my electric fan had quit working.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( on my car and in my A/C book the condenser is mounted downstream of the airflow and gets the hot air coming off the radiator )</font>

Downstream? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I thought all the auto air-conditioners (and the tractor, too) had the condenser mounted in front of the radiator and the fan behind the radiator pulling the air through first the condenser and then the radiator.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Tractor
    L5030HSTC

I don't know what is normal but for sure the a/c condenser is upstream of my radiator. It would seam that some of the problem is that they put the battery directly in front of the a/c condensor and most of the air flow is blocked. Also, with my HST trans there is a cooler for it hanging in there and it the air intake for the engine is totaly in front of it. With the air taking the path of least resistant I don't know how effective it is in cooling the hydraulic fluid.

Elite Member

WOOPS!!! You guys are right... I think my mechanical mind is becoming discombobulated.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

Tom:

I didn't get a chance today to call kubota, I had a pile of S*** to do at work today. I will, however, get it done tomorrow. As far as the udt fluid overheating, I checked mine with a digital thermometer just after comong out of the field, it was at 215 degrees. That's acceptable for atf so it should be acceptable for udt.

I think one problem with the ac is the fact that the Grand Cab has quite a large area of glass with a very light tint. I have actually got sunburn in the cab while bailing. The sunlight coming in and striking the interior panels creates heat that the ac has to dissipate. It also hit's you and makes you hot and the ac has to overcome that too.

I was considering a window tint job for the door windows and wing windows, maybe uv inhibiting film. That would also probably help. before that, however, let me talk to Kubota.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L4610,BX2200,ZD28F

I also have an L4610,but no cab,no air.I use this tractor to pull a 15' Tri-Deck Finish Mower.The 4610 was at the time,the biggest H.P. tractor I could find with a Hydro Trans.

In warm temps. 85 on up,the tractor engine temp. runs very warm.I don't think that 2 gallon of coolant is enough to keep the engine temp. in check.I know that the mower is a load,power wise the engine handles it fine.But,the hydraulic fluid runs very warm (hot). I don't have a thermometer to check the trans. temp. I can just tell,it's hot.The trans. cooler,again,not big enough,with the battery and the aircleaner situated in front of the radiator and trans. cooler,air flow is restricted.

I recently changed the hydro. fluid with Amsoil ATH,I can tell a big difference,the trans. is a lot quieter and the casings are not near as warm.This Winter I plan on taking out the radiator and having a new 3-core made to replace the 2-core factory rad. this will increase the cooling capacity by 50 %, also plan on replacing the hyro. cooler with a larger unit.

I'm hoping the increased capacities will decrease the heat...

Tractor

Mreeter:

It's really not the quantity off coolant in the system, it's the gallons per minute of coolant flowing through the radiator that increases heat transfer. Of course a 3 or 4 pass radiator is better than a 2 pass. Also, heat transfer is directly dependent on fan pitch and rpm. Again, my 5030 never goes above one segment past the middle, even when bailing. My NH rounder puts a pretty good strain on the 5030. I have to have the hand throttle about wide open to maintain 540 rpm

Tractor

Tom:

On a plus note, the heater in the cabin models really works good.

I got mine late last winter a used it for snow removal and I stayed nice and warm, even with the snow blowing all over the cab and windows. The defogger grid on the rear works well too. Sure beats my old 3710, no cab and a snowmobile suit. After 5 minutes of blowing I looked like a snowman myself!!!

Tractor
    L5030HSTC

Daryl thats a big 10-4 on the warm cab. Don't need a lot of heat here in Ms but this baby can heat the cab real goood.

My point is that I spent good money for what I thought was a quility tractor and it want do what I paid for. No were in the kubota,s sales literature, are any info I got from the dealer said anything about the cab and a/c being nice and would really keep me cool if I would just spend hours on the internet and find some real nice people that together we would surely find a way to get our a/cs to cool!!!

I do really mean nice folks. You guys have been a lot of help.
    But what would you do with an expensive tractor that want work as advertized. I did not buy my tractor so I could spend all my time trying to get it to work like its should work.

Daryl, you are to be applauded for the help you have been for me and I am sure many others that have followed your good advice and the photos that you were kind enough to share. But, wouldn't it have been like kinda nice that after we spent our money we could have just climbed in and plain enjoyed our new tractors. Then we could be telling everyone how great these tractors are.

It looks as if I am the only one that along with the a/c problem has a tractor that want work a full day bush hogging or plowing without running hot. I can't get the jobs done that I bought the tractor to do. None of you guys seem to have the running hot problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast