Best implement to remove rocks, roots and limbs?

/ Best implement to remove rocks, roots and limbs? #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
I need an implement that will screed the rocks, roots and broken limb pieces from loose soil after I had an excavator work various area of my property. Many seem to be, under 8" in diameter, there appears to be more rocks than soil in many places though..the tractor is a BX23, property is rocky mountain hillside with large trees, so freedom of movement is tricky.
Box scraper, ratchet rake, york rake, or another perhaps?
Thanks,
~Tol

/ Best implement to remove rocks, roots and limbs? #2  
I'd say a rock bucket on the fel. Dig in, pick up and shake, dump the rocks in a pile for future use making rock walls when terracing the hills. (ask me how I know about rock walls)

/ Best implement to remove rocks, roots and limbs? #3  
Agree with rmorey. Those rock buckets look pretty efficient for what you are looking for.

If you have a Ritchie Brothers auction nearby they usually have them. Not cheap however.

/ Best implement to remove rocks, roots and limbs? #4  
I would think the least expensive route would be a york rake. A rock bucket for a BX 23 would be nice, but who carries one?

/ Best implement to remove rocks, roots and limbs? #6  
A rock and debris bucket for a loader works pretty good for this, but the smallest one I have seen is 55", that is what I have on my MX5100 and it weighs 515 lbs. Some sort of three point hitch rake might work to windrow rocks if you can angle it.

/ Best implement to remove rocks, roots and limbs?
Thanks, I need to keep it within the scale of my little BX I'm afraid, which is why I asked about those three items..

Oh.... did someone mention something about stone walls? Here are a few I did by the house a few years ago, if I would have done anything different...I would have put the rock garden in before the wall, it would have been easier moving them up the hill rather than skidding them backwards with a plate and fence post...LOL

MotorcycleWiring008.jpg

Rock garden after the wall
MotorcycleWiring013.jpg

101645d1209670587-pennsylvania-stone-wall-project-motorcycle-wiring-007.jpg

Picture011.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

The other wall
78982d1181853905-pennsylvania-stone-wall-project-upper-wall.jpg

Seriously.. I really need to figure which one of the three implements mentioned would be best for rock removal though...

/ Best implement to remove rocks, roots and limbs? #10  
WOW. those are some nice walls!

As to what implement you should use, of what you have listed, id say York rake.

A suggestion would be to see if you can find a rock bucket sized to the BX.

A third option would be to make a screener. There have been a few on here, some delux, powered with a shaker action and some stationary, made out of 4x4's and wire mesh. With the rocks in my ground here, and the high price of top soil ($270/tandem) I considered putting one together so I can make my own "top soil"

It doesnt have to be fancy: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...wn-dirty-basic-soil-screener.html#post1406005