Loader True Third Function- factory or do it myself

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #1  

paulwestski

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
The Kubota L4240 that i have on order should be ready for delivery in a few weeks.

I'm on the fence whether to source the parts myself for the third function or just order the Kubota kit. I'm very comfortable installing either myself. I added four remotes to my L3800. Designed and fabricated the valve and quick connect mounting bracket locations and all plumbing routing.

We all say wow $900 for third function....I could probably do that for much less myself.

The kubota kit is only about $400 more than sourcing all of the parts myself.

I've looked at all of the Kubota parts diagrams and they use a ton of hard lines, between the pump and valve, valve to valve, along the loader arm, and have all of the brackets fabbed and painted, quick connects dust covers, complete new loader control lever with joystick, switches, relays, wiring, connectors, nuts, bolts, screws etc. If you look at the quantity of parts it's not really overpriced and makes for a very clean install.

The Kubota kit is a "true third function" not just a diverter valve. Which of course means curl, lift and grapple can all work at the same time......and yes I currently, at times use all three at the same time. If the grapple was controlled by a rocker switch on the loader control I can see opportunities to use it even more often.

The only two downsides of the factory kit is the additional cost and not being able to spend quality fab time in the shop building it.
Now if I can get my sales guy to give me a good price on the kit!

Would anyone with the factory third function please reply with their likes and dislikes of the factory setup????
Pictures of the mounting location of the valve would be nice also.
Anyone have the LA854 loader installation instructions ?
I think that they cover the third function install.....would be nice to get a scanned copy PLEASE...

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #2  
W.R. Long kit

Have the W.R .Long kit on the L3130 and like it the kit is also a third function. Have heard of problems of the Kubota kit on the Lxx40 with valve sticking in some uses.

David Kb7uns

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #3  
W.R. Long kit

Have the W.R .Long kit on the L3130 and like it the kit is also a third function. Have heard of problems of the Kubota kit on the Lxx40 with valve sticking in some uses.

David Kb7uns

Where did you buy this kit and what was the part number? (I too have a L3130 and have looked adding 3rd function)

To the OP, I like factory parts when I can afford them. If beyond my budget and I can't wait, I usually cobble (not pretty) something together...

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #4  
We offer the WR Long 3rd Function Hydraulic kits. They are made specifically for your tractor and we order them complete with hoses and 1/2" ag couplers.
The kit will ship free to your home within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC.
Here is a video:

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #5  
You might lean on your dealer a little and get him to install the Kubota kit if you purchase it thru him. Seems that's the normal offering of the dealers.

In my case I bought my tractor and then installed the Kubota third function and added two more rear remotes. Yep, they are more expensive than aftermarket options. But what I like is the ease of use. Everything is where it should be and very comfortable to use. The plumbing for the third function is built to fit the loader frame and came with all the necessary hardware for a perfect, easy install.

On my old Kubota L4400 I added third function by replacing the factory valve with a valve that had a third function operated by a second lever. Then I mounted the original loader valve on the fender and added two remotes to the rear. It worked fine. But was bulky and out of place. That's why I bought factory kits this time. I use my hydraulics every time I use my tractor. I figure ease of use and quality product pays for itself over time. I've put 350 hours on my tractor in 8 months.

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #6  
While I am sure you can handle the install I would just have the dealer install it on a new machine. Eliminate problems if there is a warranty issue, I try to keep my own wrenching to a minimum while equipment is in warranty. I check to make sure bolts are tight and do the fluid changes myself during that time frame.

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself
We offer the WR Long 3rd Function Hydraulic kits. They are made specifically for your tractor and we order them complete with hoses and 1/2" ag couplers.
The kit will ship free to your home within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC.
Here is a video:

Yeah I know you guys carry the WR long kit but......MSRP on the Kubota kit is only $80.00 more and is a super nice kit.
Steel lines that run down the loader arms.
I hope that the dealer can discount the kit for me.

I'm curious where does the WR Long kit tie into the hydraulic system on a Kubota Grand L series?
On a standard l series I know exactly where it would tie in.
I'm pretty certain the backhoe hydraulics use the available Power beyond from the loader valve on a grand.
The Kubota factory third function kit ties in before the loader valve with all new steel lines and banjo fittings.

Thanks for the replies.
If anyone could take some photos of their valve location would be great.

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #8  
The dealer should install the 3rd function for free while they are setting it up.

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #9  
Are you sure that the 3rd function is a true remote? For some reason I thought it wasn't so I was never really interested in adding one. If you buy the valve at the same time as the tractor your dealer may also give you the same discount that they gave you on the tractor. When I bought my 4240 I didn't get rear remotes because I didn't know enough about them to make an educated decision. I wish I had because they are a lot more complex than I realized and I really like the factory look of them.

/ True Third Function- factory or do it myself #10  
I'm curious where does the WR Long kit tie into the hydraulic system on a Kubota Grand L series?
On a standard l series I know exactly where it would tie in.
I don't know where it ties in but Nelson @ WR Long can surely tell you. You'll probably also get more feedback here from people with the kits.
I wouldn't blame you for getting a discounted OEM kit and I respect the DIYers.
People like the WR Long kits because they're quick and easy. They are very well known because of their reputation for quality and reliability.
Travis