Mowing New BX, first issue......

/ New BX, first issue......
Dealer dropped tractor off today while I was at work. Said there was nothing wrong with pulley alignments and everything is tight. He put the belt back on properly and ordered a new guard.

I think he is going to handle it as a warranty claim, but if he is right, then it really should'nt be handled like that. I'll call him tomorrow and at least offer to pay him for his trouble. He has always treated me well, never charges me for pick up and delivery and in general has been great about everything. I should at least offer to pay him for his trouble......however, I doubt **** take it...we'll see.

As I suspected...dealer refused to charge me for picking the machine up, inspecting and correcting the belt, returning it, or for ordering a new cover. His claim that a pine cone or gum ball got under the belt and derailed it sounds a little strange as it has never had that happen on any other mower I've had here....but, I do have lot of both, so who knows. In any case, I'm a happy camper : )

/ New BX, first issue...... #23  
I am glad you got the issue taken care of it and it was nothing related to quality or setup; never had it happen to me either, but I guess it can.

/ New BX, first issue...... #24  
It sounds like you have a good honest dealer and I buy the idea that something got sucked up in between the belt and pulley. I dont think that he will file a warranty claim either, he will simply eat the time and parts to keep you happy. Happy customers return when its time to upgrade or replace, unhappy customers go to another dealer.

/ New BX, first issue...... #25  
Things like that happen. I had a walnut get in the right spot on one of my fairly new JD mowers and popped the belt off.

It never happened before or after that.

Yes I suppose they do.....the way that belt is designed it would take a substantial "pine cone" or gum ball to derail it. However, that said, I can't say it didn't't happen and the dealer has certainly treated me fairly (more than fairly) over the whole incident, so I am a happy camper and that dealer will surely get any of my future business. : )

/ New BX, first issue...... #28  
I have lurked here forever reading valuable information daily. I had to post to make a comment about your dealer. Your dealer is a keeper for sure. If he won't take payment, at least find out what he drinks and buy him a case of it! :D

Back on topic:I have had my BX2230D with a 60" deck for a couple of years now. The deck has the metal covers over the outer pulleys. The belts are exposed in the center where the gear box is, but though grass can get in there, I have never had a stick, walnut or anything bigger than a blade of grass under the cover when I pull them off to clean. I mow under trees (yes a walnut tree or two) and along overgrown fence lines with large weeds and saplings sticking out everywhere. I just don't really see how anything could get in there large enough to derail that huge belt? It would have to fall in from the top... Granted it happened in your case as there is no way the belt just jumped off the pulleys by itself! ;)

I have several areas I have to drive stright in and then back out of because there is not enough room to turn. Lots of pinecones flying around at that point and the only thing I can figure is that one of them bounced over the back side of the deck as I was backing up, as the top of it is lower to the gorund then the leading edge is. Go figure.....