More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get?

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #21  
it was hard enough convincing the wife we needed a tractor of some kind. so i had to go with a small inexspensive one that she was comfortable with the price. now that we have one she wants me to start doing a bunch of stuff that the tractor can't handle, like doing our own hay. so now i am looking into a bigger one.

Nick,
You're a genius! Buy a new tractor and make your wife think it was her idea.:) We should all be that good of salesmen.
Stuck

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #22  
I bought something that I hoped would do the jobs.. I found out my "baby" didn't have the weight or power to do all I needed done.
Then the money question was faced and addressed then I got an upgrade..

We take into account the choice of new vs used and if it's used the condition, hours, vs power and weight. lucky for me the used 2nd machine was able to just handle the jobs I needed done. Something larger would be better- owing money not so much.

I haven't made it into the utility tractor (backhoe) size yet.. but I do have a use for something in the Deere 310J size and power .....well, what I really could use is a 20 ton excavator.

Getting older and facing physical limitations has me using my machines with gratitude in my heart.

Attachments

• old pics 692.JPG
    old pics 692.JPG
    863.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 5-16-9%20004.jpg
    5-16-9%20004.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 151
  • L35hydrocouplersplus014.jpg
    L35hydrocouplersplus014.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 151
   / More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #23  
I got the B2400 about 15 years ago, not long after we moved here. It replaced a JD318 and I just wanted something that would be more versatile and do more work. It did everything I asked of it around the house and the pasture. If I ever needed something bigger with a bit more grunt to it, I could always bring one of the utility tractors over from the farm 6 miles away.

About 6 years ago I finally admitted that I was getting older. I was tired of pasture mowing in the Texas heat, eating all that dirt and chaff and being chased by bees and bugs. I got a Grand L4740 with a cab and it was one of the better things that I've ever bought. I've never regretted it for a moment. So, technically I didn't move up to a utility sized tractor, just a bigger CUT but with 'way more comfort, summer and winter and a lot more capability.

I recently got a F2680 to mow the 4+ acre yard so the poor B2400 is pretty much relegated to being a mechanized wheelbarrow and tool carrier, rolled out for special occasions. I'll never get rid of it though as my wife still likes to ride it occasionally.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #24  
In my case my last purchase was dictated more by weight than by horsepower. I already had several 80 plus Hp tractors so I didn't ness really need one with huge Hp. I did however need an additional tractor for handling large bales of hay and the utility size frame gave me the weight to do so safely.

I've used smaller tractors in the past and while I got by for years using a ford 3000 to feed bales on one of my farms the larger heavier tractors make the job much easier and safer to accomplish.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get?
This thread is ugly without pictures and hurting for a definition of "utility sized tractor".
Newbury,
Thanks for the pics! Your absolutely right, this thread needs more pictures :laughing: I agree that the M series Kubotas are utility class tractors. There are many pics of utility sized machines on this thread:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/250577-utility-sized-tractor-picutures.html
Hopefully there will be more added as well ;)

Speaking of adding pics of utility sized machines, I believe you owners of the new NH T4.75 and Case 75C are seriously lacking in your obligation to post photos of your new tractors :D

It isn't always about traction. Running pto powered equipment uses hp more so then traction
Robert,
I absolutely agree with that statement! Especially when it comes to mowing, or haying even (and I'm sure a lot of other reasons as well, snowblower comes to mind) but eventually, the implements that take a really lot of power, will get too big/heavy for the tractor to handle in general. I think a JD 4720 has been used to pull a 15' batwing, but I imagine it's overloading the recommended hitch weight for the tractor, in fact I think I remember someone breaking their hitch from the tongue weight of a batwing mower?

I could see the appeal of a really high horsepower CUT for something like a batwing mower though, if that is the only large job. Maybe that's why the CUT's are getting more and more powerful? Maybe they are finding that a lot of people need high horsepower required at the PTO but don't do ground engaging work. :confused3:

Some may even have bought way more tractor then they really need trying to one up other posters here....
VT, I often wonder about that being a driving force on here as well, however, I think with almost 200,000 members on here, it's gonna take a lot more than someone may think to "one up" everybody on here. :laughing:

I think the utility sized tractors do offer better value in terms of hp to weight, and ability to get work done. However, I don't agree that the CUT's are as expensive as they are without a reason. Many of the CUT's have very sophisticated HST systems as well as some 'luxury' options that simply aren't available on the utility sized machines, or, if they are, they take away the presumed 'better value' of the utility machine.

All the research and development, as well as quality and available options, cost a lot of money to produce and engineer. That cost has to be absorbed by someone, the consumer. I think it's the same thing for the argument of paying for the "name" when you buy a JD or Kubota. I don't agree that your paying for the name, or color of tractor, I believe the reason they are more expensive is because they are either more advanced, offer more options, or simply have more refined systems with tighter tolerances. Whether it's worth it to you to pay a premium for the amenities is completely up to you, that's the beauty of all the choices we have these days! (I may have strayed off topic a little here :laughing:)

Now, what were you saying about more pictures? :laughing:

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get?
In my case my last purchase was dictated more by weight than by horsepower. I already had several 80 plus Hp tractors so I didn't ness really need one with huge Hp. I did however need an additional tractor for handling large bales of hay and the utility size frame gave me the weight to do so safely.

I've used smaller tractors in the past and while I got by for years using a ford 3000 to feed bales on one of my farms the larger heavier tractors make the job much easier and safer to accomplish.

In my case, my next purchase will be dictated also by weight, for the ability to lift more with the FEL, just like you. I also need some extra hp at the PTO, but no more than the largest CUT's offer. A large driving factor for me (call me crazy) is also that I want a buddy seat in the cab, for my boy to ride along with me! v:thumbsup:

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #27  
You want pictures? I got pictures!!

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #28  
Heres the new one I just bought,its going to be delivered in a few weeks.coobie

Attachments

• 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 220.jpg
    220.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 218.jpg
    218.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 116
   / More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #29  
More and bigger is better; ain't it!:thumbsup:

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #30  
I bought something that I hoped would do the jobs.. I found out my "baby" didn't have the weight or power to do all I needed done.
Then the money question was faced and addressed then I got an upgrade..

We take into account the choice of new vs used and if it's used the condition, hours, vs power and weight. lucky for me the used 2nd machine was able to just handle the jobs I needed done. Something larger would be better- owing money not so much.

I haven't made it into the utility tractor (backhoe) size yet.. but I do have a use for something in the Deere 310J size and power .....well, what I really could use is a 20 ton excavator.

Getting older and facing physical limitations has me using my machines with gratitude in my heart.

Irwin those are nice machines. You mention a JD 310J and a 20 ton track hoe and I know the feeling. When we went looking for a FEL for the old 265 MF we came home with a 1983 JD 310B backhoe instead. We used it yesterday to off load the 4.3 engine that we replaced in an old S10 with little effort. I could have been done with a boom pole but not as smooth and safe.

Actually we fire up the JD 310B more often then the 265 MF but the backhoe does not bush hog well at all. :D

I do think the price of CUT's today are hurting future sales. We got the JD 310B that is well worn but starts, runs and works hard for little more than a new FEL installed that is required for a 60 HP tractor. The MF 265 was bought new by late FIL and is up to 1300 hours now so it was not like we went looking for that size tractor to start with. The BH was $7200 and has cleared a lot of huge trees since we go it in 2010. It would be like a bull in a china shop cleaning out barns or trying to dig a sewer line ditch in a small back yard however. :)

I do think people who require/prefer a cab the CUT size is great because with a large cab tractor we could not get close to woods mowing.

When it comes to sizing I still think for many to buy used is the best bet because there is NO cost to trading up in most cases like if you bought new in many cases.

The 265 MF is actually a HUGE tractor to me but I would not trade it for a 245 in equal condition today a friend of my has even if it was not a FAMILY tractor. I can power though places where I would otherwise be hung up. Not having a cab height can be a good thing sometimes.

If our place was not so hilly I would like to have a CUT with a 4' bush hog or going around the place cleaning up pulling a trailer but with the Polaris 325 Magnum we may have a trailer puller but at 900 pounds with rider we are short on weight. :)