More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get?

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like when I first joined TBN (a lot later than many of you) I noticed that there were mostly all CUT's being talked about, posted about, and purchased. It seems like over the years a lot of people have moved up to Utility sized tractors.

Maybe it's because even compact tractors seem to be getting more and more powerful and eventually, you need a larger, heavier frame to handle all that power? How much power can a CUT have, before it's "too much"? It has to stop somewhere? New CUT tractors are pushing 60hp, will they reach 70?

Of course, the vast majority are still compact owners (including myself) but I wonder if we'll see the trend continue and notice more and more people upgrading to Utility sized tractors? I really enjoy seeing the posts/pics on the larger tractors and reading about what people are doing with them. There are quite a few pics of utility tractors here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/250577-utility-sized-tractor-picutures.html

In addition, just for discussion's sake, what was your reason for upgrading from CUT to Utility? I'd love to hear your 'story'.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #2  
How many horses? The obvious stopping point would be where the traction can't take advantage of the power.

Why are owners switching? Didn't buy large enough to start with / not enough patience to work longer on a smaller tractor / etc. Cost is a factor. Many of us went from a property that could be managed with a 38" store brand riding mower to more land. When the price tag increases by a factor of 10, it's easy to err on the small side and not want to spend an additional 4 grand on top of that tag to buy larger the first time.

It's probably different for each owner, and each of us has his own version of the best tractor for his situation. When I took delivery of my B7500 in 2002 I thought I had arrived! I thought that tractor had more horses and more capability than I'd ever need. After 12 years on two smaller tractors I thought I "bought big enough" this time.

Even so, there were times when a little more power, more lift capacity, larger bucket or more weight would have been very welcome. Last year I had an opportunity to replace it with an L3200. The size and power are perfect for me. It takes work in stride that the B7500 struggled with. More room and much more comfortable to operate.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #3  
For me the lack of weight can be made up with the correct PTO implement. It takes iron to move snow, but a 6' blower works well on a 4,000 lb tractor. I can haul the splitter to the tree and maneuver the machine to get split wood in the bucket instead of hauling the tree to the splitter. I can move the tractor with my 1/2 ton. The 1967 Deere 710 hauled entire trees and stacked snow but was not maneuverable in woods, wanted to go in a straight line or point downhill in snow, and too heavy for me to trailer or drive over the septic. Smaller 4WD tractor with wide tires can mow in soft ground where the larger one would make a mess or get stuck. I have a 5 ton mini-ex for bigger stuff and the larger tractor sat a lot so I sold it and downsized.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #4  
I think a lot of people may initially intimidated by the size of a Utility Tractor over a CUT ad by the CUT. I have found what initially seems pretty big and powerful on the lot shrinks once it is delivered and especially after it's used while. The former new owner user learns some skills and discovers the limitations and what was once too large and complicated no longer seems so intimidating.

I approached from a different direction and decided I needed a CUT to compliment our UT's.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #5  
I was in that boat I had an L3800 now I have a 7040su its still not enough wieght

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get?
Case,
I seem to remember you thinking about upgrading a while back? Are you still planning on stepping up to a larger tractor?

Triple R,
I think you have the ideal setup! Multiple tractors is the answer!

I could see myself someday having a larger tractor, and also a B3030 or similar for the smaller tasks.

It seems like a lot of the utility tractors that have come out within the last 5 yrs or so, have been getting more and more of the 'plush accommodations' features like the luxury model CUT's have.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #7  
I wanted to go larger than a utility tractor but my budget wouldn't allow it. Does that count? :confused3:

I have ran several makes and models of tractors so I dont think the intimidation came into play for me at all. (from 25 hp to well over 100hp) I did end up getting a cut though( L3400 HST) and wouldn't trade it for anything. I do however think that my 83hp deere isn't nearly big enough for what I would like to do. Many times a good deal comes up on an implement that is "within" the suggested hp range but it doesn't do it comfortably. When this happens enough times, itis no longer worth the headaches of not having enough tractor. I think that is pretty much universal.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #8  
About a year ago I bought my first tractor. I went with a utility tractor (Kubota M6040), mainly because I wanted to be sure it would safely move 4x6 round bales, but also because it didn't cost any more than a larger high-end CUT like a Grand L. The size of it is a little bit intimidating at first, but you do definitely get used to it with experience. I was mowing around our 10-acre property a couple of weeks ago with a 7-foot rotary cutter, and came to the realization that a CUT with HST and a 6-foot cutter would be much more efficient for mowing in some of the smaller paddocks and barnyards we have. However, the big tractor and cutter really excel when mowing in open fields, and the M6040 will unload the big round bales off of a truck safely without any ballast on the 3-point. I was explaining all of this to my wife and she said "I guess that's why some people have more than one tractor". I love my wife! :D

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #9  
it was hard enough convincing the wife we needed a tractor of some kind. so i had to go with a small inexspensive one that she was comfortable with the price. now that we have one she wants me to start doing a bunch of stuff that the tractor can't handle, like doing our own hay. so now i am looking into a bigger one.

/ More people buying utility sized tractors? and why? How powerful can CUT's get? #10  
now that we have one she wants me to start doing a bunch of stuff that the tractor can't handle, like doing our own hay. so now i am looking into a bigger one.

Hope you got in a bunch of "I told ya so's" ... and enjoyed sleeping on the couch afterwards. :D