road register

/ road register #1  

tezzer

Tractor
ford 1720
hi all i have just bought a ford new Holland 1720 compact tractor. my first impressions are not very good i am hoping to drive it on the road. but don't know if its me or the gears but i am not looking forward to it. i have loads of things to ask but one thing at a time. the person i bought it off has had for the last ten years it does not have a number plate or log book. in the past it looks as thought it has has a tax disc in the window. i have been told that to contact friends of Ferguson as they are recognized by the dvla and let them do the paper work for me can i have your thoughts and opinions please thank terry :confused2:

/ road register #2  
Welcome to TBN.:tractor:

/ road register #3  
When you say "hoping to drive it on the road" how fast do you plan to go. I have had my 1720 for approx 15 years and it has done everything asked of it. Great little engine.

/ road register #4  
tezzer,

I do not think any American or Canadian here can answer your question. We do not have to license(tax disc) our tractors for road use.

/ road register
mine is a manual gear box and when i use the range in high the tractor engine starts to die when i try to pull away. also when i change gear say from first to second when i press the clutch in and the tractor just comes to a halt instead of keeping moving. is it supposed to do this thanks for your replies everybody

/ road register #6  
mine is a manual gear box and when i use the range in high the tractor engine starts to die when i try to pull away. also when i change gear say from first to second when i press the clutch in and the tractor just comes to a halt instead of keeping moving. is it supposed to do this thanks for your replies everybody

I am not sure of the 1720, but my 1300 does not have syncronized gears so you should be stopped , to change gears. If the clutch is working properly you should be able to pull away in all gears unless there is a heavy load attached. When i press the clutch my tractor it will coast a short distance before stopping. Are the brakes adjusted too tight?

/ road register
that what i thought could it be the brakes sticking i will have to check the rear ones tomorrow. I know the front brake are not sticking as i used the loader to lift the front end up and spin the wheels.AS i say i have only had the tractor since Friday and with not having any instructions on what does what it takes some getting used to.

/ road register #8  
Operator and service manuals are available on ebay and amazon. com, in the U S ,not sure if their available where you are,but would be very helpful if you can get one.

/ road register #9  
I think you're right about the front brakes not sticking, it doesn't have any that I'm aware of.. :)

If you want to travel along the road you should learn to double-clutch when you shift so the gears don't grind. It works like this.. as you're rolling along in say, second gear, you depress the clutch and pull the shift into neutral, then release the clutch completely. Immediately (while you still have momentum) depress the clutch again and engage the next higher gear (third). Continue until you're in high gear. It works better going upward than downshifting in my experience. Before there were synchronized transmissions this is how all gear driven machines were shifted. Good luck.

Sean

/ road register #10  
remember.. this machine , if the straight manual like my 1920 was. has gear ranges too. 3 gears and 4 ranges.

shift onthe fly is gonna be a nightmare...