Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    ford 1720

Default road register

hi all i have just bought a ford new Holland 1720 compact tractor. my first impressions are not very good i am hoping to drive it on the road. but don't know if its me or the gears but i am not looking forward to it. i have loads of things to ask but one thing at a time. the person i bought it off has had for the last ten years it does not have a number plate or log book. in the past it looks as thought it has has a tax disc in the window. i have been told that to contact friends of Ferguson as they are recognized by the dvla and let them do the paper work for me can i have your thoughts and opinions please thank terry

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: road register

Welcome to TBN.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    New Holland 1720

When you say "hoping to drive it on the road" how fast do you plan to go. I have had my 1720 for approx 15 years and it has done everything asked of it. Great little engine.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    No longer Searching. Mahindra 3016 Shuttle

tezzer,

I do not think any American or Canadian here can answer your question. We do not have to license(tax disc) our tractors for road use.

Tractor
    ford 1720

mine is a manual gear box and when i use the range in high the tractor engine starts to die when i try to pull away. also when i change gear say from first to second when i press the clutch in and the tractor just comes to a halt instead of keeping moving. is it supposed to do this thanks for your replies everybody

Tractor
    Cub Cadet-Yanmar ex450 -Ford 1300-Mahindra 2415

Quote Originally Posted by tezzer View Post
    mine is a manual gear box and when i use the range in high the tractor engine starts to die when i try to pull away. also when i change gear say from first to second when i press the clutch in and the tractor just comes to a halt instead of keeping moving. is it supposed to do this thanks for your replies everybody
    I am not sure of the 1720, but my 1300 does not have syncronized gears so you should be stopped , to change gears. If the clutch is working properly you should be able to pull away in all gears unless there is a heavy load attached. When i press the clutch my tractor it will coast a short distance before stopping. Are the brakes adjusted too tight?

Tractor
    ford 1720

that what i thought could it be the brakes sticking i will have to check the rear ones tomorrow. I know the front brake are not sticking as i used the loader to lift the front end up and spin the wheels.AS i say i have only had the tractor since Friday and with not having any instructions on what does what it takes some getting used to.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet-Yanmar ex450 -Ford 1300-Mahindra 2415

Operator and service manuals are available on ebay and amazon. com, in the U S ,not sure if their available where you are,but would be very helpful if you can get one.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I think you're right about the front brakes not sticking, it doesn't have any that I'm aware of..

If you want to travel along the road you should learn to double-clutch when you shift so the gears don't grind. It works like this.. as you're rolling along in say, second gear, you depress the clutch and pull the shift into neutral, then release the clutch completely. Immediately (while you still have momentum) depress the clutch again and engage the next higher gear (third). Continue until you're in high gear. It works better going upward than downshifting in my experience. Before there were synchronized transmissions this is how all gear driven machines were shifted. Good luck.

Sean

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

remember.. this machine , if the straight manual like my 1920 was. has gear ranges too. 3 gears and 4 ranges.

shift onthe fly is gonna be a nightmare...
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast