Ballast Weight of counterweight Ford 3000

/ Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #1  

Lavatoro

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hello all. I'm new to this site and I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this question but I recently bought my first tractor a 1974 Ford 3000 gas with a loader and I couldn't afford a rig with 4 wheel drive nonetheless I like this tractor but I know I am going to get stuck in the mud and snow. I'm going to start with a counterweight but I'm not sure how much rear weight my tractor can comfortably lift and operate without stressing it and risking damaging something? Should I even worry about that? My 13.6 x 28 tires are already loaded. I want to be able to remove snow this winter so I will get chains soon too. Thanks

/ Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #2  
I have a similar unit but it has cab. Those loaders are heavy! I would say go for atleast 1k pounds. If I recall correctly that machine is rated for about 1750 24 inches behind the pins. The three point on it will easily pick up a 1400 pound 5x5 round bale. And yes chains are a must as well.

/ Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #4  
loaded tires and chains will help.

a nice plug of crete' int he rear will too. I make them from time to time. 500-800# depending on machine. I usually like to chain mine up so it is hanging and not using hyds to hold it up.. etc.

/ Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #5  
I have a full 55gal drum of concrete, and still slip some. Prolly 800lbs. You definitely do want weight back there when you have a loader on a 3000, those adjustable front axles are not known to be 'heavy duty'..

/ Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #6  
   / Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #7  
I have a full 55gal drum of concrete, and still slip some. Prolly 800lbs. You definitely do want weight back there when you have a loader on a 3000, those adjustable front axles are not known to be 'heavy duty'..

Just to clarify (since the OP is a newbie), adding a counterweight takes weight off the front axles, where loading the tires does not. Essentially, you've turned your tractor into a teeter-toter, and you want to balance it from front to back as much as possible.

I think 800lbs is probably a good minimum, with 1k even better.

/ Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #8  

A 55 gal drum filled clear to the top is usually closer to 60 gallons. Which is about 8 cu ft. Concrete is ~150lbs per cu ft. So a full drum of crete is more like 1200lbs.

If you want 800lbs, you need to shoot for the 40 gallon mark on the barrel.

/ Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #9  
A 55 gal drum filled clear to the top is usually closer to 60 gallons. Which is about 8 cu ft. Concrete is ~150lbs per cu ft. So a full drum of crete is more like 1200lbs.

If you want 800lbs, you need to shoot for the 40 gallon mark on the barrel.

Thanks :) Came with the tractor, so never actually thought about it as I remember him saying it was 800-900 lbs. But, you are correct - unless light weight concrete was used (I doubt) then its close to 1200 lbs.

/ Weight of counterweight Ford 3000 #10  
Hello all. I'm new to this site and I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this question but I recently bought my first tractor a 1974 Ford 3000 gas with a loader and I couldn't afford a rig with 4 wheel drive nonetheless I like this tractor but I know I am going to get stuck in the mud and snow. I'm going to start with a counterweight but I'm not sure how much rear weight my tractor can comfortably lift and operate without stressing it and risking damaging something? Should I even worry about that? My 13.6 x 28 tires are already loaded. I want to be able to remove snow this winter so I will get chains soon too. Thanks

A few years ago I bought my 3000 and needed to plow snow also. The chains and loaded 14.9 x 28s helped, but with the 730 loader backing up even the approach to the road it would still spin the rear tires..

I borrowed an 85" tiller that's got to be way close to 1400lbs. and WOW talk about a difference, it made by far the biggest change in pushing snow dirt, whatever. In fact we actually used the 3000 to dig a grave for a full size horse that that had been kicked by another horse, and had to be put down, in the winter...

I have the 4x4 rhino now for tough ground engagement tasks ,but the 3000 is still much faster for regular plowing duties due to the high volume vickers loader pump and the selecto-speed...

I now normally keep a 1000+- lbs. Gannon box blade mounted to the 3 point and it will plow and push dirt just fine. So I would suggest a rear weight/ implement that's at least a 1000lbs it will also reduce some of the weight carried on the front axle (not the strongest) when the loader bucket is carrying a full load my :2cents: And Congrats on the 3000 -they are work horses