Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere

Default Mowing beside the road

I own hilly timber/hunting land and use a John Deere 4720 to bush hog, dig ditches, grade roads, etc. I would like to do a better job mowing beside my roads and trails. The areas besides the roads and trail are highly variable - many have ditches of various widths/depths, others involve terrain that slopes up or down from the road; steeply in many cases. In many cases I can't safely take the tractor off the road. There are several miles of roads and trails.

I am considering:

1. A 3 point hitch boom mower attachment for my Deere 4720 tractor (66 hp; 4500 lbs). I am concerned that this solution my be too light. I have heard that I really need a 100 hp tractor to handle a boom mower.

1. A larger tractor with a boom mower (like the County uses beside county roads). One concern here is that I would have a large tractor that would be usable for very little else if it is big boom mower on it.

2. A fairly large skid steer with a boom mower attachment. A skid steer would be handy for many other jobs since the boom mower attachment could be removed, but I have not read much about people using boom mower attachments on skid steers. I think a skid steer would have lower center of gravity than a large tractor which would be a big plus on my hilly property.

Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Default Re: Mowing beside the road

Rhino has a boom flail mower it says "Fits tractors as small as 45 PTO HP and 4,500 lbs weight".

Hydraulic Boom Flails | Rhino

Tractor
    NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800

Bushhog has a model for your tractor power/weight as well. I doubt you could go wrong with either brand.

http://www.bushhog.com/product-line/...om-mowers.html
    Chris

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Mcconnel (Alimo) makes them for compacts down to 35hp McConnel

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Doesn't someone make a sickle bar mower on a arm like that? I would imagine it would weigh less than the flail.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post
    Doesn't someone make a sickle bar mower on a arm like that? I would imagine it would weigh less than the flail.
    Yes, Mcconnel does. It requires only 15hp and a 550kg tractor

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Yes, Mcconnel does. It requires only 15hp and a 550kg tractor
    My gosh, that will work on a lawn mower..........almost. It will work on a tractor that weighs as little as 1200 lbs. Would love to have that for my Massey GC2400.

I could almost retire my string trimmer.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Yeah its pretty neat isnt it

Mcconnel was bought by Alimo mowers so you might begin to see more of them around.http://www.alamo-industrial.com/Prod...p?ProductID=30

Funny about siclebars on small tractors, 20 years ago I remember the town using an old Massey Pony with a side mount sickle bar to mow the edges of dirt roads. A pony is a pretty small and low power tractor (like 10-15 hp IIRC) and it ran that sickle pretty good.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Yeah its pretty neat isnt it

Mcconnel was bought by Alimo mowers so you might begin to see more of them around.Alamo Industrial: Products - Ditchers, Loaders & Sickle Bars > McConnel<sup>?</sup> Swingtrim Sickle Bar

Funny about siclebars on small tractors, 20 years ago I remember the town using an old Massey Pony with a side mount sickle bar to mow the edges of dirt roads. A pony is a pretty small and low power tractor (like 10-15 hp IIRC) and it ran that sickle pretty good.
    Yes it is.

I have a steep bank in front of my property, by the road. It's steep enough that I slide down the bank while using the string trimmer(and that's a killer once you get a few years on), and an attachment like that for my Massey would be the ticket.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    JD 5075E

Here's the more familiar offset bush hog :Bush Hog vs Bush Hog 2011 vs 2011 3209 Offset Rotary Cutter vs 3209 Offset Rotary Cutter Cutter Implements
    I also found this neat offset arm:
    Beaver Valley Supply Company - MK Martin Rotary Cuter Offset Arm
    I'd want to add some the counter weights.
    The sickle bar mower doesn't look bad, depending on what you're trying to cut.
    JD5075E, Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, Wallenstein FX65 Skidding Winch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast