quick help craftsman tractor PTO engaging loud squealing

/ quick help craftsman tractor PTO engaging loud squealing #1  

v8only

Silver Member
Tractor
1988 John Deere 755
So i sold off my YS4500 Craftsman tractor to a friend and she hit a 2x4 continued to mow the lawn with no issues. This week after she engages the PTO to start the blades and VERY high pitch consistent squealing is happening, continues to cut but at an ear piercing tone.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Thanks.

/ quick help craftsman tractor PTO engaging loud squealing #2  
So i sold off my YS4500 Craftsman tractor to a friend and she hit a 2x4 continued to mow the lawn with no issues. This week after she engages the PTO to start the blades and VERY high pitch consistent squealing is happening, continues to cut but at an ear piercing tone.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Thanks.

With engine OFF and PTO Disengaged:
See if the spindles spin freely - 2x4 may have caused bearing damage/binding.
Check belt tension - may be too loose.
Check for a chunk of 2x4 wedged between blade & deck or between pulley & deck.

/ quick help craftsman tractor PTO engaging loud squealing #3  
start at the mower

/ quick help craftsman tractor PTO engaging loud squealing #4  
I have an older Craftsman and the deck has aluminum holders for the spindles. They break pretty easily and throw the pulleys out of alignment. Plus there's usually metal guards to keep the belt from jumping off of the pulley. One of them could be rubbing. Finally there could be a break to stop the blades when the pto is disengaged. One of them could be rubbing.

/ quick help craftsman tractor PTO engaging loud squealing
wow i pulled off the mower deck and it was full of grass clipping, turned the spindles and found that it was the right side spindle it would barely move and i assumed seized or a damaged bearing. We proceeded to clean the deck and ensure all the clippings were out so i could start to disassemble, i then noticed the blade that was binding was now moving freely and the noise disappeared.

Turns out it was so jamb packed with clipping the pulley would not turn.

/ quick help craftsman tractor PTO engaging loud squealing #6  
The heartbreak of WGS - wet grass syndrome.
Glad to hear you go it fixed for no $ at all!

/ quick help craftsman tractor PTO engaging loud squealing #7  
Have to love the easy fixes.