Looking for a 4-6 row planter

/ Looking for a 4-6 row planter #1  

2006gmcdmax

Gold Member
Tractor
Many but mostly ford diesels or ihc or jds
Ok I'm wanting to start farming about 100 acres here soon. I have a ford 5000 and was thinking a 4-6 row 30" spacing would work. I was going to put some yetter trash whippers on the front and kind of turn it into a no till along with Keaton seed firmers. What would be the best planter for me, a four or six, a John Deere or int? I would spend up to 5000. If I have to build I will I hear the 70s -76s are good jd planters I could put 4-6 on a tool bar maybe which kind of would be perfect?

/ Looking for a 4-6 row planter #2  
I have no experience with international planters. I have always used 6 and 8 row deeres. These planters are heavy. I feel like a 6 row is going to be too much for your tractor. Especially if you are adding no till packages to it. I think you will be happier with a 4 row 30 in setup.

/ Looking for a 4-6 row planter
That's what I was thinking also I wonder if I built a tool bar 4 row of course put yetter brush whippets on it and then inch wide wavy coulters then pulled my planter if that would work

/ Looking for a 4-6 row planter #4  
In that style planter I would suggest the JD 71s as they are really good planters. There are some good IH planters (465?) also, but parts/plates availability for the 71’s is very good and probably will be for a long time. Yetter is still building a version of the 71’s today. I don’t recall ever seeing trash sweeps for the 71s, but I have never really looked for them.

I would also look into a set of 4 row JD 7000 or 7100 planter pull type (if you have rear remotes). I have seen them listed with no-till openers that were within/around your budget. Personally, I perfer strip till over no till but that's another subject and it requires more HP.

71s iv heard nothing but good about them as well. I was wanting something alittle more modern that is accurate I wanting to start farming on the side just to make some extra money really.

And by the way 7000s were what I was kind of looking for

/ Looking for a 4-6 row planter #7  
Just for your information, a 7000 is a pull type and the 7100 is a 3ph version. Thats the only difference in the two. If you already knew this just disregard it. Just trying to help without coming off as a "know it all".

Yessir in fact I did I'm not sure weather I'd rather have a three point or pull behind three point would be good for turning at the end either or I think would do me now just time to find one

/ Looking for a 4-6 row planter #9  
I like the 3pt. Makes turning around at the headlands a snap. But im really not sure if your tractor will have enough lift capacity and/or height to handle a 4 row 7100 with full seed boxes and no-till coulters and such. A 7000 may suit you better. Surely someone else here has tried a 7100 on a tractor like yours and can give a more definate answer.

Sure enough if I buy this 1086 with ac and a cab I'm sure shell be about to lift it no problem. My ford does have remotes as well so a 7000 would work. Far as the no till I might make a tool bar where ill have to make two runs one with the tools and second with the planter