Tractor
    Kubota3030HST

Default Small Strip

I have a 60" finish mower with three cutting blades that I use for my yard. I have started to notice a +- 1inch strip being left between the blades on one side of the mower. The bearing for the blades are new and the blades aren't damaged. Has anyone had this happen to them and what is the fix? Thanks
    'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy S... What a Ride!!

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Default Re: Small Strip

Foster Center, RI

Tractor
    Kubota BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch

Also check the pressure in all of your tires to make sure none are lower than they should be.
    BX25, "60" MMM, 3 point hitch, Brinly 12" cat 0 1 bottom plow, TSC Countyline carry all, Kubota ballast box, 4X4 Loyal drag harrow, BXpanded Piranha tooth bar, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, Bro-Tek wheel spacers, Bro-Tek backhoe ripper tooth. Kubota BX2763A front plow, Phoenix T4 48" rototiller, Harbor Freight Quick Hitch, BXpanded Quick-on Work light Kit.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Re-check the blades for being bent.
    Are the blade tips worn round?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

I put on a new set of Gators this year on my 60". I went out to mow on Friday after letting the lawn get way too long. I set the height at 3.5, but it was leaving a 4-5 inch strip right on the seam of the blades. In my case, I wonder if there just wasn't enough vacuum on the blades to get the grass to stand up fully. So next time I'll lower it to 3 (didn't want to go any lower this time due to shocking the grass to much). I'll be interested to see if closing the gap just a tad develops a better "seal" around the deck and do a better job of lifting the grass. Perhaps the wedge of open air just didn't force the grass up enough.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

I had that happen on turns with different decks. All were 3-blade decks. Since the blades can't contact each other to make a complete cut, they are arranged so the cut of the center blade is forward of the outer blades and overlaps the cuts of the outer blades while going straight. I blamed the strip on making turns where the radius of the turn caused more than adequate overlap on one side and no enough on the other.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Chim, yeah, turns can do that to you. In my case however, I have extended straight sections where this was an ongoing problem. I basically double-mowed mine because I overlapped about 1/2 the mower with the previous swat.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

One of my blade bearing housings are bent, or the deck is bent where they bolt on. As a result one blade cuts higher on the left than the right. Lucky my yard is small enough that I just double cut while swinging around trees and flower beds....

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400

If the deck is loaded with residue, it can prevent proper air movement and lift of the grass. See if the deck is clean and unobstructed. Good luck
    CCY SC2400, FEL, MMM, WB, Chore tote, Broadcast Spreader