Can I adjust the wheel stance?

/ Can I adjust the wheel stance? #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
Can I adjust the wheel stance to create a narrower stance without negatively affecting anything? I assume I can switch sides with the wheels to do this? Will I affect turn radius on the front if I do this?

Attachments

• 492.JPG
    492.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 492 front.JPG
    492 front.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 229
   / Can I adjust the wheel stance? #2  
Tractors are mostly made to have adjustable wheel widths for different tasks. The quote "without negatively affecting anything" needs to be quantified. Will there be any physical harm from the adjustment. Absolutely not if you take the right precautions. The rears are most likely loaded and very very heavy. 800-1000lbs+ would be typical. But your stability will be noticeably less if your working on any slopes and be more cautious doing loader work.

/ Can I adjust the wheel stance?
I am not working on slopes, I am in the woods a lot and width, or lack of it, means a lot. I don't want to lose turn radius or negatively affect the tractor. The tires are loaded and I realize they are very heavy.

/ Can I adjust the wheel stance? #4  
Looking at your post it appears you don't currently have a tractor? If you are looking to buy, the bigger they are the wider the stance.

You need to define how much weight and how much HP you need for the task you perform,and then look at the width. Look for a tractor that has two piece rims that can be reversed to change the width. You do realize that on a given tractor the width can only be modified by six inches or so, not much help in the thick stuff. The turning radius will be what it is, again, the bigger the tractor the greater the radius.

/ Can I adjust the wheel stance?
Looking at your post it appears you don't currently have a tractor? If you are looking to buy, the bigger they are the wider the stance.

You need to define how much weight and how much HP you need for the task you perform,and then look at the width. Look for a tractor that has two piece rims that can be reversed to change the width. You do realize that on a given tractor the width can only be modified by six inches or so, not much help in the thick stuff. The turning radius will be what it is, again, the bigger the tractor the greater the radius.

I have the tractor in the photos

/ Can I adjust the wheel stance? #6  
It looks like the wheels can be moved to the opposite sides to widen or narrow the width

/ Can I adjust the wheel stance? #7  
What make and model tractor?

Can't tell from the pictures.

MF 492, Thanks for updating your profile :D

Last edited:
   / Can I adjust the wheel stance? #8  
That tractor has multiple adjustment widths on the wheels via the two piece rim design. You should be able to narrow it up quite a bit.