Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Hard time with new tractor

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    Thanks Carl. I over think everything. I am wired to be analytical. Sometimes it is a curse and other times its been a lifesaver. The dealership gave me three weeks to decide. I've sent the oil out to be analyzed to see if indeed I do have a glycol leak. Things will unfold. I am curious on your recommendation for the R4's. I never had a problem with ags in the woods even when I had the old 4 plys tires on as opposed to the 8 ply tires on the JD now. I guess one of the main factors on tire selection should I decide on the new tractor, is what fits in the barn, garage, and shed storage areas. Putting the rops up and down seems like an added act that I do not know how I'll fathom. The JD fits into everything now.
    Some on here have had good luck with tying a string to the top of the doorway with a sign hanging on the end of it at eye level that reads "Lower Rops". Sounds silly, but it's effective.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kubota M8540

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Some on here have had good luck with tying a string to the top of the doorway with a sign hanging on the end of it at eye level that reads "Lower Rops"
    My buddies dad could have used a similar sign a few years ago that read "remove bicycles" from roof. Good idea

Dave

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    If you find it awkward you should not buy it.

I appreciate the old equipment but I really don't miss any of it. The new stuff makes life so much better and things are way more efficient.
    I was thinking the same thing.. If you really do find it awkward to operate right off the bat, I would not buy it. Or do you really thing this is all mental, not ergonomic?
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by xring100 View Post
    I agree if the shoe doesn't fit don't buy it. Did you test drive the competition maybe there is a better fit for you out there. Do you have the same problem with new vehicles. And if so do you adjust okay. If the answer is yes then it might be okay.
    I've regretted purchases in the past and i don't ever get over it. Most recently it was a speeco speed pro log splitter from tractor supply. It was a pile fortunately after 6 months of frustration TSC bought it back. The concept was cool but it had to many fundamental design issues.
    I did Dave. I guess they all strike me the same. Kioti,kubota and the 3005 JD. I eliminated tractor after tractor based on their designs. The smaller L series Kubotas have their tie rods in the front of the axle. I'd bend these in my dense woods on the first day. It is essential for me to mount the tractor from either side and where some of these manufacturers place their fel controls, you'd have to be a ferret to get on the right side of the tractor. In the woods I need to be able to mount and dismount from either side as one side may be blocked by a tree or rock or bush. Of course a logging winch would eliminate that but I never had one and I am not about to buy one now as i do not know how much longer I'm going to log. It would have been a wiser decision 30 years ago when they only cost $1800. Just another example of my dumb ***** obstinance thinking they were too expensive then.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Or do you really thing this is all mental, not ergonomic?
    That James is the million dollar question. I do suppose if this were my first tractor, I wouldn't know any better. I always had a vex as to why everyone was so hepped on the hydrostatics as my gear 750 is like breathing to operate. Now I know why based on my stint on the new tractor.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

That James is the million dollar question. I do suppose if this were my first tractor, I wouldn't know any better. I always had a vex as to why everyone was so hepped on the hydrostatics as my gear 750 is like breathing to operate. Now I know why based on my stint on the new tractor.
    Can you be specific about what it is about the new tractor that is not easy to operate? Is it just cramped, or the gear selector in wrong place, or what?.. I was worried when it got my Kioti, that I would have trouble with the 2 pedal hydro setup as I was used to the single pedal kubota operation that I really liked the way it worked. But it took about a day of operation to adapt to it. The operators deck on the Kioti is large and uncluttered, easy to get on and off of either side. I can tell you this though, I look at a Yanmar and drove it for about a minute and gave the keys back to the salesguy, and said sorry, that tractor does not fit me.. Everything seemed cramped and up in my face. I did not like it a bit.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

HI Arrow,

R1-R4 debate is lengthy as you know and both will work fine, I just prefer R4 around rocks and stumps and a little more ground contact in wet areas.

Then yes, check the heights but I see the 3016 is 81.5" with R4's and the 750 79" assume that's with the ROPS up so not a huge difference.

On ergonomics, it sounds more about change.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Can you be specific about what it is about the new tractor that is not easy to operate? Is it just cramped, or the gear selector in wrong place, or what?.. I was worried when it got my Kioti, that I would have trouble with the 2 pedal hydro setup as I was used to the single pedal kubota operation that I really liked the way it worked. But it took about a day of operation to adapt to it. The operators deck on the Kioti is large and uncluttered, easy to get on and off of either side. I can tell you this though, I look at a Yanmar and drove it for about a minute and gave the keys back to the salesguy, and said sorry, that tractor does not fit me.. Everything seemed cramped and up in my face. I did not like it a bit.
    Well first off is the single joystick. Mine currently has two levers and I can control them like I operate my hand. Not so with the single joystick. Seems to be a fine line of curl and boom lift that I can't get the hang of. My shifter is in the middle of the tractor and very fast to shuttle between first and reverse or 5th and reverse. The new one is on the left of the steering wheel and can shuttle no matter what gear your in. Being right handed, I'm a little ham fisted doing this with my left hand when before I had my left hand on the steering wheel and snapping between forward and reverse with my right hand which was much more natural for me. My accelerator pedal is just below the brake pedals so you could easily pivot your heel from brake to accelerator. The new one you have to pick up your foot entirely as the accelerator pedal is about a foot behind the brakes. Right now I cannot see myself inching into a pallet with forks or backing toward a stem between tightly growing trees on the new beast as I have not developed a feel and do not know if I ever will or if I'll get used to it. I told the proprietor of the dealership I should have never got on his tractor. He laughed and said "I know, after you drive one everybody wants one" I said "no, I wanted the tractor before I drove it and now I'm not so sure" His smile turned upside down with a puzzled look upon his face. The only things the new tractor has over the old one is it is much stronger and you can actually climb off of it instead of leaping off like you need to do on the JD and of course it has up to date parts offerings. Perhaps i simply need to bite the bullet and just do it. 28 years ago I paid $9350 for the JD. He is offering me 7K for it plus a discount of 3K, plus filling tires, plus giving me a choice of ags or the upsized industrials (43x20) instead of the 15.9's so for 10K out of pocket, I have a brand new tractor or almost what I paid for the JD 28 years ago. The deal alone is worth taking even if I don't like the 3016 right now..

Tractor
    Toolcat 5610 F. Bobcat V417 Versahandler. TORO+Loader

Well first off is the single joystick. Mine currently has two levers and I can control them like I operate my hand. Not so with the single joystick. Seems to be a fine line of curl and boom lift that I can't get the hang of. My shifter is in the middle of the tractor and very fast to shuttle between first and reverse or 5th and reverse. The new one is on the left of the steering wheel and can shuttle no matter what gear your in. Being right handed, I'm a little ham fisted doing this with my left hand when before I had my left hand on the steering wheel and snapping between forward and reverse with my right hand which was much more natural for me. My accelerator pedal is just below the brake pedals so you could easily pivot your heel from brake to accelerator. The new one you have to pick up your foot entirely as the accelerator pedal is about a foot behind the brakes. Right now I cannot see myself inching into a pallet with forks or backing toward a stem between tightly growing trees on the new beast as I have not developed a feel and do not know if I ever will or if I'll get used to it. I told the proprietor of the dealership I should have never got on his tractor. He laughed and said "I know, after you drive one everybody wants one" I said "no, I wanted the tractor before I drove it and now I'm not so sure" His smile turned upside down with a puzzled look upon his face. The only things the new tractor has over the old one is it is much stronger and you can actually climb off of it instead of leaping off like you need to do on the JD and of course it has up to date parts offerings. Perhaps i simply need to bite the bullet and just do it. ......
    Yep, I say just do it! I was 69 years old when I got my first shuttle shift, with the lever on the left of the steering wheel. it didn't take long to adjust from the center shift. The bad thing is since I drive the Bobcats more than my truck, when I want to back the truck out of the garage, I pull back on the shuttle lever and it just sits there with the left turn signal flashing!
    Last edited by Xfaxman; 07-05-2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: clarification

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Well first off is the single joystick. Mine currently has two levers and I can control them like I operate my hand. Not so with the single joystick. Seems to be a fine line of curl and boom lift that I can't get the hang of. My shifter is in the middle of the tractor and very fast to shuttle between first and reverse or 5th and reverse. The new one is on the left of the steering wheel and can shuttle no matter what gear your in. Being right handed, I'm a little ham fisted doing this with my left hand when before I had my left hand on the steering wheel and snapping between forward and reverse with my right hand which was much more natural for me. My accelerator pedal is just below the brake pedals so you could easily pivot your heel from brake to accelerator. The new one you have to pick up your foot entirely as the accelerator pedal is about a foot behind the brakes. Right now I cannot see myself inching into a pallet with forks or backing toward a stem between tightly growing trees on the new beast as I have not developed a feel and do not know if I ever will or if I'll get used to it. I told the proprietor of the dealership I should have never got on his tractor. He laughed and said "I know, after you drive one everybody wants one" I said "no, I wanted the tractor before I drove it and now I'm not so sure" His smile turned upside down with a puzzled look upon his face. The only things the new tractor has over the old one is it is much stronger and you can actually climb off of it instead of leaping off like you need to do on the JD and of course it has up to date parts offerings. Perhaps i simply need to bite the bullet and just do it. 28 years ago I paid $9350 for the JD. He is offering me 7K for it plus a discount of 3K, plus filling tires, plus giving me a choice of ags or the upsized industrials (43x20) instead of the 15.9's so for 10K out of pocket, I have a brand new tractor or almost what I paid for the JD 28 years ago. The deal alone is worth taking even if I don't like the 3016 right now..
    The deal sounds good, I started on 2 sticks too. for the FEL I was good at using it.. I would NEVER go back to 2 stick.. 1 stick is SO much better. you right hand belongs on the joystick, not shifting gears.. These things have been carefully thought out. through generations of tractors, and generations of operators. Advancements have been made.. I know.. I have owned 5 tractors in 20+ years. Each generation is better than the last one. I have "adapted and overcame" Sure when I changed to a different system, there is some time to relearn and adapt to it.. That is normal for everyone. If 2 stick loaders were better than 1 stick, loaders, all of the loader controls would be 2 stick.. But they are not. I cant vouch for the 3016, or how good of a tractor it is how ergonomic I would find it. But I can tell you this. Its Modern Ergonomics are thought out to fit the maximum number of people to do work in the fastest and easiest manner. As for shuttle, If I wanted one, and I don't I would want it right where you mentioned it was put. I am an unabashed promoter of the hydrostat equipped tractor for the the vast majority of operators. Everyone has their own thoughts, and Ideas, and that is the way it should be.. but you have now heard mine Good Luck in what ever you decide to do..

James K0UA
    James KUA

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast