Hard time with new tractor

/ Hard time with new tractor #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
No…. this is not about a prison story. I have a deposit on a new Mahindra 3016 gear. I tried it again today and I find it awkward compared to my JD 750. I love the 28 yr old JD but am concerned about how well it will stay together. Almost every time I use it I need to replace something on it (and now it needs a head gasket or worse? a head) but it just is a nice fit with its ease of use. I know new things take getting used to but I'm not sure that is the reason I'm having trouble with this decision. All the head things point out to getting a new tractor such as ease of getting on and off, its new, its a year old left over so I'm buying it for 10K and my tractor with loaded tires of my choice (11.2 ags or upgraded size of 43x20 ind) so its not a money thing, its certainly more machine, loader lift is almost double , no problem with parts availability but with all these advantages, I'm still having a tough time because all the implements I have bolt right up to the 750, its done all i've asked for and my kids were raised with it. I think its easier to use and its simpler with its ergonomics. I've got it just right sort of like being married for a long time so there is no "retraining" (Ha, and they say that about us men). The sentimental part is about things coming to an end. I'm old enough to experience friends dying, Pets are about gone. Children have left and I am one to "make do" with what I have and enjoy a minimalist existence. I should be shouting for joy about a new tractor but alas, I'm not. Why is this seemingly no brainer decision like wading through the morass of 3 million little melted plastic army men? Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Last edited:
   / Hard time with new tractor #2  
I know what you're talking about. I hate to get rid of anything but I also like new things as well. I think that's what's called a pac rat!!

Why not get a 790/3005 JD? Still small and gear drive. Plus it's still green! Just a thought

/ Hard time with new tractor #3  
It could just be a color thing. I do not normally recommend going green because I have always been a blue kind of guy, but you may just have to go green to ease your own mind! Or maybe you just don't like what you have the deposit on it might not even be color it could just be something down deep that just doesn't settle right. Either that or you are just over thinking it!

/ Hard time with new tractor #4  
I just traded in my two older tractors and bought a new one much like my favorite but with a few more hp. Everything fits like the old one (ergonomics), but I miss the soft, easygoing feel of my well broken-in but unfailingly reliable, trouble free, and sentimentally attached 'baby' of a dozen years. It did take me a few weeks to get over the transition mentally and back to my pace of land clearing, gravel spreading, etc, but I finally got up the nerve to get acquainted and put some break-in hours on the new machine.

Change happens, and we all have to make adjustments. Pet owners are well familiar with letting go of an old friend and so often making room for a new one in our hearts and families. That old friend is not soon forgotten, but we can't choose who stays and who goes, or when we have to move on.

If the new tractor has what you want and will do what you want it to, you probably will be fine after a while. Take some time to think things over, and imagine being back in the seat like old times with a new working partner. You'll get used to any differences before you know it. If you decide to keep the JD, we'll be here to help you take care of her. If you go ahead with the 'newie' we'll be here too.

btw: Don't worry about color so much, it's obvious you have good taste in equipment. (My 'honey' is gradually going from brown to gray, but gets a touch-up once in a while, and sometimes change is just a state of mind.) What matters is that I still have the teamwork that's more than I sometimes deserve, in the house and out in the yard. There's a big decision for you to make here, but with the kids gone you should have room in your life for a new friend. Someday you may look back and wonder why you hesitated. (IMO, seat time heals all wounds. :) )

Good luck, and be sure to let us know 'where you go' from here.

/ Hard time with new tractor #5  
You find it awkward because it is different than what you now have. You are comfortable with the 750 and spending a bunch of money on a new tractor is a bit stressful as well as exciting. Almost all of us have second thoughts in a case like this. You will probably still be a bit concerned even a year from now, but you will very much like that it starts easily----every time. You will realize that you couldn't have done something in particular with the 750. Slowly you will realize that the Mahindra is just a tool and so was the JD. It really was you and your family that did the work.

You could just pay more for the Mahindra and keep the 750, but we both know that it would sit while the new tractor did the work. The 750 will find a new home with someone willing to put in the time and money to "fix it up." They will create new memories, build new walls, gardens, and chicken coops. In 20 years they will be going through the same thing you are right now.

Enjoy your new tractor. Life is short.

/ Hard time with new tractor #6  
Change is life.

S***t did I really just say that?

Oh man, lets not get all extensional about a peice of machinery.

/ Hard time with new tractor #7  
Hey, there's a guy called xp190 that has a thread called "New owner/operator of old tractor" in this exact forum and the tractor he bought id a JD 750. Maybe you can give him a little help.

/ Hard time with new tractor
Hey, there's a guy called xp190 that has a thread called "New owner/operator of old tractor" in this exact forum and the tractor he bought id a JD 750. Maybe you can give him a little help.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I'll pm the guy and see what I can lend to the subject.

/ Hard time with new tractor #9  
arrow,

xp190 could use your knowledge right now. He is about to split the tractor for clutch and throw out bearing problems. I can only advise him a little, as I was always International Harvester. So I could not give him detailed information.

/ Hard time with new tractor
arrow,

xp190 could use your knowledge right now. He is about to split the tractor for clutch and throw out bearing problems. I can only advise him a little, as I was always International Harvester. So I could not give him detailed information.

Already made the pm on the subject. To think, he's tickled pink with his purchase and his has over 3000 hrs. Mine has half that. Waxed every other year and I'm ready to trade it because I'm thinking JD hardly supports it any longer.