Clean off the Fluid Film?

/ Clean off the Fluid Film? #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I bought a couple cans of Fluid Film and sprayed it on the exposed hydraulic cylinder rods on my backhoe when I dropped it for the summer for corrosion protection.

Is it OK to leave the Fluid Film on when I reinstall the backhoe or should I clean it all off first? I didn't know if the Fluid Film would damage the seals on the hydraulic cylinders when the rods retracted.

Thanks

/ Clean off the Fluid Film? #3  
I have found that FF seems to pick up more "grit", so on exposed cylinder rods I clean off the FF with some paper towels soaked with Simple Green or a similar product. Especially clean the hyd cylinder face where the rod retracts to clean the seal area.

/ Clean off the Fluid Film? #4  
clean it off the rod with some brakeclean.

/ Clean off the Fluid Film? #6  
I bought a couple cans of Fluid Film and sprayed it on the exposed hydraulic cylinder rods on my backhoe when I dropped it for the summer for corrosion protection.

Is it OK to leave the Fluid Film on when I reinstall the backhoe or should I clean it all off first? I didn't know if the Fluid Film would damage the seals on the hydraulic cylinders when the rods retracted.

Thanks
Another good product the does not collect dirt and grit is sprayon PBBR,It leaves a wax coat.coobie

/ Clean off the Fluid Film? #7  
clean it off the rod with some brakeclean.
That may be harmful to the wiper seals and paint. Just a quick wipe with a towel is all that's needed, you don't need to clean it off 100%, just the excess.

/ Clean off the Fluid Film? #8  
That may be harmful to the wiper seals and paint. Just a quick wipe with a towel is all that's needed, you don't need to clean it off 100%, just the excess.

My thought is that the cylinder rods should be clean. I haven't had any issues with rust on any of mine and have never sprayed any coatings on them at all. Anything that would make dust or grit stick to the rods is a mistake in my view. I agree with Kenny though, a clean shop towel to wipe them dry with a little rubbing is what I would do at this point. Then leave them alone.

Everytime you stroke the cylinders the rods get immersed in oil and wiped clean, those seals do a good job for the most part leaving the rod clean to touch.

/ Clean off the Fluid Film? #9  

Careful application. Seals and paint should be fine.

/ Clean off the Fluid Film? #10  
Wipe it with some diesel then soap and water like dawn ,to be safest some of the brake cleaners are harsh, I had an o rieleys one lift paint, Im sure it was lacquer thinner ..