How often should a tractor be run?

/ How often should a tractor be run? #1  

vrmnthntr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540, RTV 900
I was wondering how often should a tractor run when it is not used a lot?

For example in the summertime I use my L3540 weekly. In the winter time it may not be used all month or for a couple months. However, if we get snow it will be used.

The tractor is kept in a garage that does not get below 40 degrees.

I guess my BX 2360 would also go in this category since I only use it to mow the yard.

Should I run it at least once a month to get the operating temperature up?

/ How often should a tractor be run? #2  
I think that question could have many different opinions, that being said I have the same tractor,(L3540). Because it's been so wet as much rain has been falling here in the northeast, I haven't used my Grand L for mowing my 3 acres at all this year. I usually use it once a week with my Woods finishing mower but not this year, and I don't believe you will hurt it by not running it. I have a Battery Tender installed on mine, along with Harleys and other vessels not run regularly. Have done it for years no issues, sleep tight.
DevilDog

/ How often should a tractor be run? #3  
YA.. as long as you keep the battery topped off and give the engine some use every few months, leaving it wont hurt. There are RV's and boats that sit 6-8 months a year with little ill effects. The main problem is diesel fuel - you must treat it if you are gonna leave it more than 2-3 months.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #4  
Farm tractors go months without being run and some of mine do too, maybe not ideal, but certainly not uncommon.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #5  
It will not hurt it to sit. Instead of a storage charger I just disconnect the battery, it is cheaper because the charger adds to your powerbill a good bit and doesn't really extend the life of the battery. If the battery is good it should hold a charge for a long time when disconnected.

Keep the fuel and fluids topped off as well. Anti gel additive isn't a bad idea either to add at the end of the season when parking it.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #6  
the best thing todo is crank them once a week.an let emm run for 15 or 20mins when not in use that much.like 3R our tractors may go a week or so without being cranked.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #7  
Running it only for 15 minutes a week is FAR worse than letting it sit for a month or two and then letting it get fully up to temp. It gets it just warm enough to condense and attract water, but not long enough to burn any of it off.

Keep fresh fluids in it, keep the battery on a tender or disconnected, and leave it sit. Resist the temptation to just tease the tractor with a quick start/shutdown.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #8  
I'm going to second Jkott on letting it either sit on run it a good while. Condensation is the issue.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #9  
Let us start with the definition of warm or up to temp. Water temp is not oil temp. My car get hot water in 5 minutes. The oil does not get up to operating temp for 10 or more minutes. This was a gas engine with engine and oil temp gauges. A diesel engine sitting at low idle or high idle may never get the oil up to a safe heating off condensation temp.

My tractor sits until I need it. It sits out in the weather. Over the winter it can sit for months. Almost never snow where I live.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #10  
Running it only for 15 minutes a week is FAR worse than letting it sit for a month or two and then letting it get fully up to temp. It gets it just warm enough to condense and attract water, but not long enough to burn any of it off.

Keep fresh fluids in it, keep the battery on a tender or disconnected, and leave it sit. Resist the temptation to just tease the tractor with a quick start/shutdown.

Absolutely true. If you don't get the engine up yo full operating temperature, long enough to cook off condensation, and combustion by-products, it's worse than letting them sit inactive.