Land clearing, also forestry.

/ Land clearing, also forestry.
Yeah that would be nice and I'll ask about chipping it to get rid of it.

You need to get a Brown cutter. Some models are designed to cut trees by backing into them and then mulching them up. Pretty heavy duty bush hogs. The state highway crews use them and along ROWs. Sometimes you can find them used.
http://www.brownmanufacturing.us/catalog/7

That is the one I was looking at. Also brush hog brand has a heavy duty one good to 3.5 inches I believe and around $2800. Need a bigger tractor though. Could probably get a set up used and use it for a year or 2 and sell it.

/ Land clearing, also forestry. #13  
Go get a Brown tree cutter used for $7K and all you need is a 60 pto hp 2 wheel drive tractor with heavy ply tires. That will handle 5-7 trees at 3-6 acs per day. Put a heavy wire screen between the ROPS. You can back over them or use your front axel to bend them over. I have a 5 ft tree cutter and it is unbelievable what it can do.
Good luck!

/ Land clearing, also forestry. #14  
Where are you at? Off 59 somewhere or liberty county? I've got a buddy that a logger and he's in that area now. Could also get you set up with a dozer guy over there. Unless your familiar with a dozer, I think you'd be happier with the results of a professional.

Brett

fm242.

I think the dozer guy would be wasting his time even bidding it because I am not looking for 'finish' type of work. I'm familiar with dozer work but not a pro. My helper is pretty smart and can figure out different equipment pretty quickly.

Can get a 550 for around $2500 for the month or maybe less on rental and pay him $500 a week.

/ Land clearing, also forestry. #16  
joe t,

Unless I am missing something here, you are wanting to thin out the 3 acres of woods for healthy new growth, correct? Why not just have it logged for the timber ready to harvest and actually make a little money rather than spending large amounts of money to remove trees?

It is around 60 acres.

I think you are right. Going to have them log it first then go back through and knock the junk down after they are done. Thinking of the best method and that would be to go through with a little dozer and knock down everything 6 inches and under then go back through with a heavy duty brushhog the next year and shred it all up.

I do this with the one I currently have on my 30hp tractor but on a much smaller scale. We stack treelimbs and stuff we cut in the open and I just shred it. I've also seen my neighbor do it on a larger scale but I'm not really out there much to really watch him. Wondering if anyone has done this on a large scale is why I was asking.

Go get a Brown tree cutter used for $7K and all you need is a 60 pto hp 2 wheel drive tractor with heavy ply tires. That will handle 5-7 trees at 3-6 acs per day. Put a heavy wire screen between the ROPS. You can back over them or use your front axel to bend them over. I have a 5 ft tree cutter and it is unbelievable what it can do.
Good luck!

I was kinda thinking the same thing but a loader would help some but maybe not worth it because I already have the small one. I'd probably run this one for a couple years and clean it up and sell it.

Suggest a 2wd tractor in the 60hp range that is inexpensive. I was looking at kioti and mahindras and they look to be in the 55hp range from what I was seeing that I liked.

Also, I think they are about that price new for a 60 inch Brown cutter. That is as wide as I'd probably want, maybe 72?

/ Land clearing, also forestry. #19  
We find our 1983 60 HP JD backhoe with a manual thumb very handy clearing land. After new tires, cutting edge and thumb we have $8500 in the BH.
Getting a chipper to clear cut sounds good.

/ Land clearing, also forestry. #20  
We do a ton of work off 242. But for $4500 (2500 dozer and 4 weeks of $500) I could get a big mulcher out there and put a big dent in what your wanting. 6" pines are a pain because sometimes they snap off other times lay over. Pm me your number if your interested. I work at the fd with a guy that has a big mulcher (not a skid steer) I think it's a 10' head if I remember right. I think you would be very happy with the end results.

As for logging. 6" base would barely make pulp wood. Most mills aren't taking it and if they are it's not paying much right now. Logs prices 8" tops are still decent but have dropped a bunch in the last few months. We live in magnolia and have a place in grimes county.

Brett