Middle buster question

/ Middle buster question #1  

Otisdog

Tractor
Kubota L 3800
I plan to open up some new game plots for fall. Ground is narrow valleys between rocky ridges and has been cut but not farmed for years It has a good turf I have a 5' disc as my only tillage implement. I'm thinking of getting a middle buster to open up the soil before running the disc. Thinking of the middle buster as a cheaper option than a turning plow.
I'll be putting in less than 5 acres of plots using a 37 hp tractor. Looking for advice and ideas. Thanks

/ Middle buster question #2  
I've used a middle buster in the woods when I needed to lay down some invisible fencing. This was a single row that I had to traverse several times to get to making a furrow. You don't want to do what you're thinking with a middle buster unless you have alot of time on your hands. A box blade with times may work better for what you want to do as far as scuffing up the soil. I've never used one in taller grass so my opinion is merely a hunch that may hold no water at all. 5 acres is not that small an area and seems too big for a middle buster..

/ Middle buster question
Thanks for the input

/ Middle buster question #4  
I used to figure I covered around 1 1/2 acre/hour with 2-14 mold board plow so I would suspect you would be looking at least 6 hrs of middle buster use to loosen this area. For a game plot will your disc loosen the soil enough or is it to light to cut the sod?

/ Middle buster question
I used to figure I covered around 1 1/2 acre/hour with 2-14 mold board plow so I would suspect you would be looking at least 6 hrs of middle buster use to loosen this area. For a game plot will your disc loosen the soil enough or is it to light to cut the sod?

I'm not sure if is heavy enough or not. I guess I may give it a shot and see. I just thought the middle buster
might improve my chances. I think I am marginal for a double turning plow with the r4's and rocky soil any way. Would a single turning plow be faster than a middle buster?

/ Middle buster question #6  
I have a middle buster and tried the same thing and it just bounced off the turf. I had to use the box blade to loosen the soil first.

/ Middle buster question #7  
I'm not sure if is heavy enough or not.
Build yourself a sandbox to go on your disc. Or a water tank. If you set the blades right, with enough weight, the disc will do the job.

/ Middle buster question #8  
I'm not sure if is heavy enough or not. I guess I may give it a shot and see. I just thought the middle buster
might improve my chances. I think I am marginal for a double turning plow with the r4's and rocky soil any way.

If you have rocky soil the middle buster or turning plow will both bring the rocks to the surface. If you have a lot of large rocks you may also break some disc blades.