Planting 0rganic Corn

/ Planting 0rganic Corn #1  

firecatf7333

Tractor
deere
I want to buy 15-18 tillable acres to build a house on. I have the perfect spot picked out right by my parents, but the guy wants 60k for it. This is in western ny, and its worth like 40k. Wondering if i planted 0rganic corn if i can make money to justify paying more then its worth. I know a local Amish guy who plants 0rganic corn/beans and he says he does well.( then again hes amish) If i can get 100 bushels/acre @ $10-$12, $1200/acre gross seems decent. What is seed cost, $200 a bag which covers 2 acres? Then fuel and custom harvest cost. There isn't any fertilizer 0r weed c0sts is there, 0r is there 0rganic versions? I'm going to ask amish but wanted your thoughts. I can truck it myself to elevator, or ask amish where he sells his.

I'm open to plant anything, hay, beans, etc, 0rganic 0r not that can make use 0f the 15 acres and 95 HP tractor

thanks

/ Planting 0rganic Corn #2  
In Oregon it requires 3 years before it can be certified by the State as Organic . Basically you plant each year , use no chemical's and then third year State certifies Organic .

Never raised corn , so can't help you there , but check into the Organic procedure in your state .

Fred H.

/ Planting 0rganic Corn
Yea i heard that it's 3 years B4 Ur certified

/ Planting 0rganic Corn #4  
If it's worth $40K, make him that for an offer and see what he says.

/ Planting 0rganic Corn #5  
If you want 100 bushel corn, you will have to fertilize with organically approved fertilizer and you will have to cultivate to control weeds. Most corn and bean seed has a seed treatment on it, so not sure if that qualifies as organic or if you have to purchase non-treated seed. Depends if you have any other equipment like a corn planter, drill, disc, chisel plow, plow, etc. to prepare and plant without going custom for all those inputs also. If you have to purchase equipment, find out what cash rental rates are in your area and look at that option.

/ Planting 0rganic Corn #6  
You may want to check out your market for organic corn. A elevator may not take your corn. What they look for is consistancy in product. No bugs, no excess moisture, no trash, no signs of certain diseases.

You may find a market through the agency that certifies a product organic. Ask who would take the crop. Ask for a list of all certified farms and millers and end use food processors.

I would suggest you look for a artisan baker and find out where he gets his product from. Specialty millers may do different types of grains.

/ Planting 0rganic Corn #7  
Whatever you think you might grow, or livestock, the first rule is that you must have a market for whatever you produce. I have known numerous people start up enterprises (not all agricultural) and then find they cannot sell their product. A quick way to go bust.

/ Planting 0rganic Corn #8  
You would probably be better off with cash rent or on 60/40 shares with regular or non gmo corn. Cash rent your guaranteed income whether there is a crop or not, on shares you will have a bit more risk, but also have the chance to make more money when you have a good crop and the market is there.

/ Planting 0rganic Corn
Rent is $40-$50/ acre, or $600-$700. Looking for more $ then that. I'm going to talk with Amish guys and see who they sell too and how many bushels/ acre they're getting.

Organic Alfalfa may also be enticing, as I think it goes for around $250/ton.

Organic is easy for Amish BC they don't use chemicals/ ferts anyway. I seen them spread chicken **** though, which I believe is still organic and works very well for fertilizer. I'm just looking for the most $$

/ Planting 0rganic Corn #10  
It does not always work, but knowing what your near neighbours have grown over the years is often a good guide. Sometimes people are persuaded to jump on the latest bandwaggon, and I have seen this happen in a few places, e.g. Eucalypts in Portugal, Xmas trees in Scotland, various crops in Australia, and "fad" human consumption vegetables in the UK.

Quite often too, a higher yield and lower price from non-organic can give a better profit.