Help: How to level with a front end loader

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #21  
I disagree. You control the attitude of the bucket with the dirt you're moving. If the left side of the bucket is low... you dump some dirt in your left side wheel tracks to raise that side of the bucket. Once you get the get the bucket on the plane you want, it digs out at that angle. Then you can turn around and sit on the "level" area you just dug out to dig out the "launch pad" you created to set the bucket angle.

I said hard not impossible.

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #22  
1st, a swimming pool isnt likely to be big, and if done right, will get a few inches of sand dumped on top. Sand is cheap so there is room for error in the "leveling" ability.

As others said, the bucket follows the rear tires. So if you are moving along leveling, and run over a rock, your bucket moves and you just screwed things up. If you dont stop and correct, and keep going, when your tires get to that screw up, it will create yet another, and so on.

As to getting the tires level, If it is just a gentle slope and not a hillside, work up and down the hill and not across it, at least to start. That way level is created by how deep you dig with the bucket...

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #23  
Ironically I was looking for the same thing yesterday and didn't find much info. My backyard has a good slope to it and my wife keeps bugging me about a pool. I told her we can't have one with the yard sloped the way it is. I don't have a tractor with a FEL but I do plan on getting one within the next year. So I'm interested to see everyone's inputs as well.

This is off the subject but I have a sloped yard too and my wife has also been bugging me for a pool. We ended up getting a Radiant pool, which is partially buried and partially above ground. It's the solution for irregular yards like ours. Of course you don't have to tell your wife about this if you don't want to.

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #24  
This is off the subject but I have a sloped yard too and my wife has also been bugging me for a pool. We ended up getting a Radiant pool, which is partially buried and partially above ground. It's the solution for irregular yards like ours. Of course you don't have to tell your wife about this if you don't want to.

Interesting. Thanks!

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #26  
Just FYI above ground pools recommend sifted dirt and not sand under the liner. sand won't pack and stay flat. Yes I ignored the directions and made the mistake of using sand.

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #28  
Just FYI above ground pools recommend sifted dirt and not sand under the liner. sand won't pack and stay flat. Yes I ignored the directions and made the mistake of using sand.

I did not know that they didnt recommend it.

But I disagree with the packing and staying flat. We put sand under my parents 16x24 pool. And it is packed hard as a rock with the weight of the water on it, and sand is easily leveled, and can be fine tuned once a few inches of water are in the pool to make it even leveler.

Plus you dont have to worry about missing a rock or stick that may trash the liner

/ Help: How to level with a front end loader #29  
I have a project along my drive where I'm moving large rocks (lifting & carrying, pushing, dragging, rolling) and planing the ridge down preparatory to building a stone wall and I'm using my FEL to do a considerable amount of digging and prying. The key is to not get in a hurry. Once I'm close to where I want the slope to be, I use the backblade to finish it.

There's a few boulders I'm rotating into position using a big hydraulic jack as a Bobcat CT230 just won't do a 4 to 5 ton boulder.

Last edited:
   / Help: How to level with a front end loader #30  
To the op,
Nobody is saying it's easy.......only that's it's easier than a pick and shovel.

If you had something else other then a fel life gets easier, but not impossible.
Though having a post hole digger does present possiblities for loosing soil for removal with the fel.

Use your imagination, it'll take you far.