Advice on Leveling Uneven Ground

/ Advice on Leveling Uneven Ground #1  

homeputter

Bronze Member
From my reading on these forums, I thought all 3-point implements were "ground following." When my BX25 front wheels hit a dip, the box blade or rake goes in the air until I push the down level for the 3-point hitch. The BB then drops to the ground. Consequently, I drive while continuously pushing on the down level to keep the BB or rake on the ground while driving over uneven ground.
Is this how the tractor has to be operated to keep the implements on the ground? Does this indicate I need more weight on the implement? Am I doing any damage to the hydraulics by holding the down level down?
Thanks for any advice.

/ Advice on Leveling Uneven Ground #2  
If you put the 3 point all the way down it should stay on the ground. You may need more weight but run it down first. it works on its own weight, there is no down force.

/ Advice on Leveling Uneven Ground #3  
Not sure about the BX series, but the tractors I know about also have a "descent rate" knob. That needs to be adjusted based on the weight of the implement. If it is too tight, the implement will not go down or will go down slowly. Also, do not want to "drop" the implement either with the knob being to loose. Holding down the 3pt hitch lever, indicates to me that the descent rate is to tight. All you should have to do is move the lever to one position and let go, and the hitch will move accordingly.

/ Advice on Leveling Uneven Ground #4  
You should be able to lower the hitch all the way down to compensate for any uneven terrain. If you lower it just enough that when the implement hits the ground, then it will stay at that height. Causing it to raise up with the rear of the tractor.

In other words when lowering the 3 pt, after the bb touches the ground. Continue to hold the lever down.

/ Advice on Leveling Uneven Ground #5  
3 PT implements follow the tractor wheels. Uneven ground uneven results that mirror what the tractor is rolling over. Only combat is hyd tilt on the lower RH adjustable link. Then you have to constantly monitor the tilt and look ahead also. Adding weight to the box blade will keep it from bouncing but it will also gouge deeper on those level changes. That's why dozer 6 way blades and road grader are built the way they are. Key with box blades is cut small amounts and also use the FEL to back blade to create an even surface to work on. It is far from a one pass operation. Knock down the high spots and fill the low spots. I am better with the FEL doing this than with my box blade. I use the BB after I have an even surface.

Ron

/ Advice on Leveling Uneven Ground
Thanks for the replies. When I go back to my cabin, I will make sure I lower the 3-point hitch ALL the way. I may have just lowered the implement until it contacted the ground.
I am still working on getting better on smoothing ground with the FEL.

/ Advice on Leveling Uneven Ground
Thanks for the replies. When I go back to my cabin, I will make sure I lower the 3-point hitch ALL the way. I may have just lowered the implement until it contacted the ground.
I am still working on getting better on smoothing ground with the FEL.