Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29

Default Best way to move dirt

I am new here and just got a TC29 with a fel. I want to fill in a low spot where water flows never having a fel how is the best way to use it? Should I push it or drag it or does it matter? Thanks for any info.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Re: Best way to move dirt

Depends on distance, quantity, etc. Front end loaders are made to scoop, carry, and dump. (When you carry a load, carry it low.) Box blades(scrapers) are made for dragging dirt. Dozer blades are made for pushing dirt. But each can do some of the work of others.

Bruce

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

^^What bcp said^^
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

It is surprising how little dirt you can actually move with each load with an FEL. What looks like a bunch of dirt in the bucket, when dumped it is rather small. However, that is the best option for using a tractor unless you have a really big tractor and dirt pan earthmover. If your soil pile is fairly close, just load up the FEL and haul it to the low spot and dump. Keep it smoothed a bit as you unload it by back dragging with your FEL every couple of loads. This helps settle the dirt and lets you visually see how much more needs to be placed. If you have a box blade and the supply pile is fairly close you can do a TWOFER, load the FEL and then use the boxblade to drag a load behind you. You can drag a load quite a ways without losing too much of it. It will take you some practice to get a full load in the FEL without a lot of trouble. The trick is to get the tilt just right, not to much because it will dig in too much but if it isn't tilted enough, then it wont load up.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

As mentioned, I am always surprised how little dirt a FEL bucket carries, but if that's what you have...

Several years ago I bought a 10' drag scraper and use it or a box scraper doing a twofer when possible, but if I have to go any distance it's back to the bucket.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1710 Ford

Some good general advice here but we need a little more info on what you are trying to do. The FEL is a good all purpose tool but there are other tools that are more specific that do better at specific jobs. Having said that you can do almost any dirt fill and leveling job with an FEL - maybe not quite as efficiently.

My other concern is your comment "where water flows". You may divert water to another path or widen or narrow the path but it is very tough to hold back water and I would not advise trying to do so.

Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29

Thanks to all of your replies there is some very good advice and I think you very much.

Tractor
    Kubota 7510 and B3200

Quote Originally Posted by Creamer View Post

My other concern is your comment "where water flows". You may divert water to another path or widen or narrow the path but it is very tough to hold back water and I would not advise trying to do so.
    I would agree wholeheartedly. Do you mean "flows" or "stands" like in after a rain.

Loading up your FEL. When I have a loose pile I push the FEL into the pile at a slight downward angle. As I push in I curl the bucket back and raise up at the same time. The more I do it the better I get at it. Filling the FEL to capacity is a great advantage if you are moving the dirt very far. I have heavy ballast attached to my 3 point on the rear when I am moving dirt to balance the tractor.

I found two heavy weights at a tractor graveyard. I bolted them to an inexpensive drawbar from Tractor Supply. I find it easy to attach and detach the ballast configured this way. I am sure there are hundreds of ideas about ballast. This is one that works good for me.
    Caution: Some of my posts may be politically incorrect.
    Kubota B7510 & B3200

New England Yankee living in Central Maine
    Tractor
    NH TC30

Make sure your front tires are full- the full bucket can put a lot of weight on them- look for them sagging a bit. Also filled tires or a rear mounted counterweight to balance the full bucket and keep the rear from being light.
    One works with what one has.

Ideally another tractor and a dump trailer would be great for moving gravel- I have a gravity dump trailer and I have some ideas how I could load it, then hitch it.
    But some times you just make do! Also you can influence water drainage by using the fel bucket to scrape a trench 3-4 inches deep at a time. Run the water someplace. I have drainage ditches and culverts all over the place- and drier fields and dry roads.
    2003 NH TC30, 5' International Agritech Bushog, Hiller/Bedder, + miscellaneous and sundry items of use.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Scoop up the dirt and fill the low spot. Back drag it. Four directions if needed. For me that's what a FEL is made for.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast