Dirt Moving Best way to move dirt

/ Best way to move dirt #1  

OUGENO

Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29
I am new here and just got a TC29 with a fel. I want to fill in a low spot where water flows never having a fel how is the best way to use it? Should I push it or drag it or does it matter? Thanks for any info.

/ Best way to move dirt #2  
Depends on distance, quantity, etc. Front end loaders are made to scoop, carry, and dump. (When you carry a load, carry it low.) Box blades(scrapers) are made for dragging dirt. Dozer blades are made for pushing dirt. But each can do some of the work of others.

Bruce

/ Best way to move dirt #3  
^^What bcp said^^

/ Best way to move dirt #4  
It is surprising how little dirt you can actually move with each load with an FEL. What looks like a bunch of dirt in the bucket, when dumped it is rather small. However, that is the best option for using a tractor unless you have a really big tractor and dirt pan earthmover. If your soil pile is fairly close, just load up the FEL and haul it to the low spot and dump. Keep it smoothed a bit as you unload it by back dragging with your FEL every couple of loads. This helps settle the dirt and lets you visually see how much more needs to be placed. If you have a box blade and the supply pile is fairly close you can do a TWOFER, load the FEL and then use the boxblade to drag a load behind you. You can drag a load quite a ways without losing too much of it. It will take you some practice to get a full load in the FEL without a lot of trouble. The trick is to get the tilt just right, not to much because it will dig in too much but if it isn't tilted enough, then it wont load up.

/ Best way to move dirt #5  
As mentioned, I am always surprised how little dirt a FEL bucket carries, but if that's what you have...

Several years ago I bought a 10' drag scraper and use it or a box scraper doing a twofer when possible, but if I have to go any distance it's back to the bucket.

/ Best way to move dirt #6  
Some good general advice here but we need a little more info on what you are trying to do. The FEL is a good all purpose tool but there are other tools that are more specific that do better at specific jobs. Having said that you can do almost any dirt fill and leveling job with an FEL - maybe not quite as efficiently.

My other concern is your comment "where water flows". You may divert water to another path or widen or narrow the path but it is very tough to hold back water and I would not advise trying to do so.

/ Best way to move dirt
Thanks to all of your replies there is some very good advice and I think you very much.

/ Best way to move dirt #8  
My other concern is your comment "where water flows". You may divert water to another path or widen or narrow the path but it is very tough to hold back water and I would not advise trying to do so.

I would agree wholeheartedly. Do you mean "flows" or "stands" like in after a rain.

Loading up your FEL. When I have a loose pile I push the FEL into the pile at a slight downward angle. As I push in I curl the bucket back and raise up at the same time. The more I do it the better I get at it. Filling the FEL to capacity is a great advantage if you are moving the dirt very far. I have heavy ballast attached to my 3 point on the rear when I am moving dirt to balance the tractor.

I found two heavy weights at a tractor graveyard. I bolted them to an inexpensive drawbar from Tractor Supply. I find it easy to attach and detach the ballast configured this way. I am sure there are hundreds of ideas about ballast. This is one that works good for me.

/ Best way to move dirt #9  
Make sure your front tires are full- the full bucket can put a lot of weight on them- look for them sagging a bit. Also filled tires or a rear mounted counterweight to balance the full bucket and keep the rear from being light.
One works with what one has.

Ideally another tractor and a dump trailer would be great for moving gravel- I have a gravity dump trailer and I have some ideas how I could load it, then hitch it.
But some times you just make do! Also you can influence water drainage by using the fel bucket to scrape a trench 3-4 inches deep at a time. Run the water someplace. I have drainage ditches and culverts all over the place- and drier fields and dry roads.

/ Best way to move dirt #10  
Scoop up the dirt and fill the low spot. Back drag it. Four directions if needed. For me that's what a FEL is made for.