Cat 1 attachment too narrow for cat 2 3-point

/ Cat 1 attachment too narrow for cat 2 3-point #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I have a John Deere 3020 diesel. It has a Cat 2 3-point. I've hooked up a number of Cat 1 attachments and never had a problem.

Today I purchased a 3-point airblast sprayer. I went to hook it up and the lower arms on my 3-point won't go narrow enough to reach the pins on the attachment. The attachment looks to have pins about 2 feet apart. Its pretty narrow.

I know I can weld up some kind of adapter. I won't weld anything to the sprayer though. I need to make an adapter so that I can keep the sprayer stock. But before I go through the effort of making an adapter, I wanted to know if there are any other solutions that won't break the bank? If you have suggestions or links to pictures of solutions I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks.

/ Cat 1 attachment too narrow for cat 2 3-point #2  
Are the draw pins welded on or replaceable? You can find some extended draw pins at Tractor Supply that may give you the reach you need.

Dave

/ Cat 1 attachment too narrow for cat 2 3-point
Dave,

They are replaceable. I'll take a look at Tractor supply's web site. Thanks for the tip.

I looked. The pins won't give me enough length.

/ Cat 1 attachment too narrow for cat 2 3-point #6  
If the attachment design has clearance from one pin hole to the other, and the weight is not too heavy, get a 36 inch, 3/4 inch threaded rod. Use 4 nuts to fasten it into the pin holes on each side, with extra sticking out. Cut it to the length you want and drill the ends for retaining pins. Put some cat 1 to cat 2 adapter sleeves on the end. If there is too much side slop, slip a couple of cat2-3 sleeves on as spacers. Hitch up and go.

Bruce

/ Cat 1 attachment too narrow for cat 2 3-point #7  
How much are you lacking? (I know that sounds like a personal question) :)

You can get a couple more inches on each draw pin by buying a couple of extra nuts. Screw the first one on, add a big flat washer and that's now your flange. Not sure how thick of material you need to go through.

Simplest would be welding a draw bar across the bottom, but you did say you didn't want to weld on it. If you posted a picture we could over engineer you plenty of ways!

Dave

How much are you lacking? (I know that sounds like a personal question) :)

You can get a couple more inches on each draw pin by buying a couple of extra nuts. Screw the first one on, add a big flat washer and that's now your flange. Not sure how thick of material you need to go through.

Simplest would be welding a draw bar across the bottom, but you did say you didn't want to weld on it. If you posted a picture we could over engineer you plenty of ways!

Dave

Here is a picture of the sprayer When I close my bottom bars as tight as they can go they don't even touch the ends of the pins. I need probably 6 inches more width on the sprayer.

What I will likely have to do is cut some 3"x3" square tubing that I have and bolt those on to each of the flanges on the sprayer and then bolt the draw pins to the square tubing. So the tubing would essentially act as spacers. I can do all that. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to fabricate a solution. I have so many projects on my plate I was hoping for some solution that wouldn't take much time. But it sounds like I'll have to fab something up. Oh well. I love working in the metal shop when I can.

Thanks for the ideas!

/ Cat 1 attachment too narrow for cat 2 3-point #9  
I think BCP's idea should work. The brackets to which the pins are attached do not look like they are beefy enough to support the cantilever load of longer pins. Running a heavy rod through the holes with nuts on each side of the plates should do the job.

/ Cat 1 attachment too narrow for cat 2 3-point #10  
BCP's idea is a good one but after seeing the photo it appears the PTO shaft would be in the way. At the very least you would severely constrict raising or lowering the sprayer. Not sure what the three holed bracket on the front is designed for or if it is beefy enough to run the rod through the bottom set of holes. You might have to find the time to make those spacers you described. Good luck!

Dave