Using a JD 1025 with a chipper/shredder

/ Using a JD 1025 with a chipper/shredder #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
One thing I haven't done yet on my 1025 is to mount the MacKissic chipper/shredder. Do any of you know whether it has a seat disconnect switch to disarm it for use with the chipper/shredder?

On my 4010, a switch was there underneath the seat that one could pull up on to disarm the seat cutoff. It works on the 4115 but not on the 4010. I had to tie the seat down.

Ralph

/ Using a JD 1025 with a chipper/shredder #2  
I believe if you flip up your seat you can run your PTO.

/ Using a JD 1025 with a chipper/shredder #3  
Pretty sure you can run the rear pto stationary but not the mid pto, atleast that is how my x749 is setup. I have a 3ph DR chipper I use on occasions without problems. Just set the parking brake, select the rear pto and raise the pto switch while off the seat.

/ Using a JD 1025 with a chipper/shredder
There's something called RIO in the owner's manual. Very confusing explanation, but it seems to mean there's a second position on the PTO selector switch (raise it higher up from normal "on" position, apparently). That then disables the seat and range selector trip-outs.

Think I'll ask the sales person. If he doesn't know, I'll just have to try it.

Would like to hear from a 1023 or 1025 owner who's done it.

/ Using a JD 1025 with a chipper/shredder #5  
If your 1025 has off-seat PTO capability, the procedure will be described in your operator's manual. I suggest you look there first.

/ Using a JD 1025 with a chipper/shredder
Not in the owner's manual. I e-mailed the sales person. He researched it. Supposed to be able to start it, exit the driver's seat (or start it standing beside; I guess) and then engage the PTO.

I may try it with the bush hog. Don't relish standing there when engaging the bush hog; so, think I'll stand up. Start the engine and then engage the PTO (checking first to make sure the bush hog is a tad off the ground).

/ Using a JD 1025 with a chipper/shredder #7  
Not in the owner's manual.

Actually, it is:

Engaging the PTO

Sit on operator’s seat.

Lock the park brake.

Move the 2-speed range lever to the N position.

NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO/RIO switch knob is in any engaged/on position.

If the brake is locked, the range lever in N and the Rear only PTO engaged while the operator is in the seat, then the operator can leave the seat and the Rear PTO only will continue to operate.

Start the engine.

Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.

LVAL38279
LVAL38279-UN-21AUG12

LVAL38431
LVAL38431-UN-02NOV12

A - PTO Control Lever

B - Mid PTO Only

C - Mid and Rear PTO

D - Rear PTO Only

E - 3200 RPM

F - LCD

Move the PTO control lever (A) to desired operating position.

Position (B) - Mid PTO only.
Position (C) - Mid and Rear PTO
Position (D) - Rear PTO only.

Pull PTO/RIO switch knob up to the engaged/on position.

Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for the implement used.
NOTE: The LCD indicates the PTO speed at an engine speed of 3200 rpm.
At 3200 engine rpm the mid PTO speed will be 2100 rpm and rear PTO speed will be 540 rpm, as indicated on the LCD.
If PTO shuts off during use, turn off engine and push down to turn off PTO/RIO switch. Lock park brake. Allow engine to cool. Check coolant level and add coolant if necessary. Clean debris away from radiator cooling fins. Sit on seat, and start engine. Pull PTO/RIO switch up to the on position. If PTO still does not engage, see your local John Deere Dealer for service.