wet or dry for grader/scraper?

/ wet or dry for grader/scraper? #1  

R G T

Tractor
Kabota 3800 HST 4X4
I've got about a quarter mile of old (12 years untouched) limerock road and a new grader/scraper to get it in good shape. Is it better to work the road when it's wet, like it is now in Florida, or wait until fall or winter when it's dry?

Nubbie question I know but then again I'm a Nubbie so...

/ wet or dry for grader/scraper? #2  
I try to do it when it is damp, no puddles but not dry either. No dust that way and it seems to me that it packs in a lot better when you drive gently over the smoothed surface.

/ wet or dry for grader/scraper? #3  
I try to do it when it is damp, no puddles but not dry either. No dust that way and it seems to me that it packs in a lot better when you drive gently over the smoothed surface.

You're completely correct about damp aggregate being easier to compact, construction sites have materials testing companies proctor their base materials to determine the best % moisture for compaction. For something like this, as long as you're not kicking up dust, or swimming in mud, you'll be OK. We work with a lot of limestone up here in northern NY and 3-5% moisture seems to work well.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ wet or dry for grader/scraper? #4  
the township i live in only grades the roads after a rain,other wise you eat the grader blades up.

/ wet or dry for grader/scraper? #5  
My gravel driveway is a mile long. I do any work on it after rain - when its damp - no puddles. Reason being - no dust is kicked up and I can compact my work with the tractor. If its bone dry it will not compact.

/ wet or dry for grader/scraper?
Thank you much gentlemen.

I have to admit that I'm just a little surprised to learn that damp conditions were favourable for grading. It does make sense now that you've explained it.

I guess I have NO excuse to put off the job now. Thanks guys. :)

/ wet or dry for grader/scraper? #8  
Thank you much gentlemen.

I have to admit that I'm just a little surprised to learn that damp conditions were favourable for grading. It does make sense now that you've explained it.

I guess I have NO excuse to put off the job now. Thanks guys. :)

Remember what you just said, damp, not wet. ;)