Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100, Kub M6800

Default Re: How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
    If you cant find the correct hose, you could have one made, or use the braided ones used on race cars. Just go to your local circle track speed shop, or check online with Speedway out of Lincoln Ne. They also specialize in nostalgic race cars and engine parts.
    Yesterday I was on crags list and found an old farm truck , looks like yours, 69 Ford N600 with an 18ft dump box, it has been stored inside and covered with dust.I was thinking it would make a cool car hauler.

Dave
    Yes, plan B for me was to get the correct ends on the hose and then a universal and correct length hose in the middle. One of the problems was the inside diameter of the hoses was not the same as OEM for the truck.

If you can buy an N600 that's in good shape for an honest price, buy it. There seems to be a cult following for these trucks and, unless you grossly overpay is hard to lose money.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    Look at the original 1967 brakes on it.

Attachment 339783
    Good Mornin sixdogs,
    WOW, those brakes look like brand new, the shoes need nothing, are you going to change out or rebuild all the wheel cylinders ? Maybe some new springs ?

Thanks for posting...
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Tractor

All new wheel cylinders, rebuilt Hydrovac, new master cylinder and all new lines. New brake hoses. Clean up the brakes, shoes and springs and lube underneath correctly. Now I feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_vt View Post
    Good Mornin sixdogs,
    WOW, those brakes look like brand new, the shoes need nothing, are you going to change out or rebuild all the wheel cylinders ? Maybe some new springs ?

Thanks for posting...

Tractor
    1959 MF 35 deluxe, gas

Beautiful truck. I hate to see it modified but to each his own

I passed up a similar N series when I didn't have the space for it a couple years ago. It was a similar wheelbase but built as a log truck, with the 6 cylinder motor. Not quite as nice as yours but it went to the scrapper. Those trucks were built to work, but made the driver work as well LOL.

Best of luck on the project.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

Back to the mouse smell issue. Last year a mouse got into the heater box in my skidsteer. I was moving snow in the driveway and smelled wires burning, I drove it back to the garage immediately and opened up the heater to see a nest and some chewed wires ( that we're burning nest material ) I removed all traces of the nest, vacked all debris, sprayed everything you can imagine to clean it out. And this spring/summer, it still smelled. Finally about 3 weeks ago I removed all the hoses where the warm air travels to the vents and replaced them. There was a plastic manifold looking piece that distributed air to different vents. This MUST be where the critters were pissing because after numerous cleaning attempts it still smelled. I had decided that I would buy a new one, because I had the entire system taken apart and was not going to go through that trouble and re assemble a mousy smelling machine. As a last resort, I poured gas inside the plastic manifold and lit it on fire...3 times. Each time the smell diminished just a bit. After the 3rd time... No more smell. I imagine the urine penetrated the plastic and when heated and partially melted, it out gassed and released the smell.

Tractor

My seat smell has gone away but there is still a "dankness" to the interior. Since it's only a simple seat with no other upholstery I'll probably just get it reupholstered. You want the interior of a vehicle to be fresh and sweet smelling or at least not smelling like mouse urine.

Fished the truck split and all the brake work today. Here's a photo.

How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck?-006-jpg

Also took the water pump off and will replace all hoses and thermostat. It come off really hard and I had to take the hood off for access.

Tractor

Here's a photo of the "fishplate" inner frame piece I had welded to the inside of the frame. It's a frame within a frame. The holes are for bolts and I had 10 holes--maybe 12--punched in each side and I'll drill the other half of the holes ASAP. The plate is maybe 2 1/2' to 3' long and it's not going anywhere.

This is a more complex project that I first thought because all the parts are interrelated and it's difficult logistically. One thing leads to another sort of thing. Plus, it's hard to find four friends at the same time to fit the pickup bed to the body. Actually it's hard to find four real friends in life but that's another story.

Anyway, here's the fishplate.

How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck?-009-jpg

Tractor

Here's a photo with the pickup body being test fit. Note there are no rear fenders on yet.
    Ditto on no running boards or fill piece between the bed and running board yet.

Oh...mouse smell is mostly gone. The concoctions that were sprayed on earlier in the thread did the deed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck?-img_2712-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota L2800 HST w/ FEL

Looking good!

L2800 w/FEL - 72" Land Pride rake

Tractor
    Farmtrac 545DTC, Ford 2600, Fiat 100=90DT

Pretty hard to get into every nook and cranny without taking the whole interior apart... One thing to check if you haven't (and would be much simpler) is the ventilation system. Seems like i remember talking to one of the guys at the Chevy dealership who told me they spray some stuff the lines to get rid if the mildewy scent the a.c. leaves behind. Something like that might do the trick. The truck looks great!!!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast