Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck?

sixdogs....Be Careful....I saw an episode of Ice Road Truckers on TV last year and one of the truck drivers had mice in his truck that he was unaware of and in cleaning the droppings out he again did not realize he was breathing the dust from their poop....There is a deadly virus that is 90% fatal...you might have seen it on TV from the deaths of folks that stayed in the tents in a federal park out west....It is called the Hatti virus or something like that.. So wear a mask a be real careful in cleaning things up...don't forget mice are shape shifters..they can burro clear into the stuffing on the seats and drop their poop in the seats and then you breathe that on an on going basis...not good.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

Hantavirus is spread more by fecal-oral, or urine-oral route. So, be sure you were gloves, or don't tough your mouth or mucous membranes, before THOROUGHLY washing your hands. I am not usre just how common the virus is, but the thought of eating rat manure or pee, is disgusting, either way.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor
    2010 SC2450 Cub Cadet/Yanmar 2003 Craftsman GT5000 1969 Wheelhorse GT14 1969 Gravely L 5' Back Blade Subsoiler/Middlebuster 52" Ratchet Rake

I bought this product work good.
    BAC-A-ZAP® » Nisus Corp
    Cub Cadet/Yanmar TLB Sc2450, Ratchet Rake, Front Snowblower, Back Blade, Spreader, Middlebuster.
    Craftsman GT5000
    Wheelhorse GT-14

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TCE45

I saw the thread title and came in to post a health warning, but see Brin and farmgirl have already covered the point. Be aware though that rodents like mice and rats carry other serious diseases too. If you can still smell it, then the chances are there was more than one. Advice from some health professional is probably appropriate.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

I know running over a skunk is effective for a long time.

On a serious note the health issues can be real as posted.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

My father had a 03 anniversary vet convertable. It was kept in his garage and seldom driven, not at all in the last 3 years. Well, mice found their way into the wireing harness, fan blower,frame,above the gas tank and under the center console. The smell was awfull, so bad it was impossible to drive with the windows up. I spent hours and hours cleaning, and removing all areas I could find that had evidence of mice and the smell did not go away. Ended up calling the insurance company and they totaled the car.

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Thank you for all the good advice.

I'm aware of the mouse virus thing and wear rubber gloves at all times where there appears to be a risk. I wash my hands multiple times a day and never consciously touch mucous membrane. One cold in 15 years, I'll add.

As mentioned, I'm not sure how widespread it is so I'm very careful. There's nowhere to burrow on this seat because the seat covering is so thin so I feel a good disinfectant and sunlight is my most practical choice.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

A good enzymatic cleaner, such as "Urine Off", by Thorne, would probably help too, as it should help break down the odor. They also make a product called "Skunk Off" for use on dogs after they have been sprayed by a skunk. Works better than anything I've ever tried to use, and I like their products.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    Attachment 330200

It's a Ford N600 1967 "cab-forward" and not a "cab-over" even though it's a snub nose. 10,000 miles. Same cab as a regular truck but it's way up in the air. The tag axle is going away this week and the frame is going to get cut and spliced from a 183" wheelbase to 123"and become a giant pickup truck.

Have a Dodge dually bed ready. Maybe drop a couple springs out of the leafs. It has a 300 cu in Ford super duty 6 cylinder that I had planned to change but after learning more of the engine plan to run an Offenhauser intake manifold with small 4 bbl, headers and a cam. Maybe port and polish the head. Maybe supercharge. Probably paint red. Add gooseneck ball.

It will look like this when done, unless plans change. Cool?

Attachment 330203
    Good Evenin Sixdogs.
    Wow thats going to be an awesome project, really like the red also !

Keep us updated, and thanks for those pics, I would love a project like that !

Air brakes on that beast or juice ?
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    A good enzymatic cleaner, such as "Urine Off", by Thorne, would probably help too, as it should help break down the odor. They also make a product called "Skunk Off" for use on dogs after they have been sprayed by a skunk. Works better than anything I've ever tried to use, and I like their products.
    farmgirl--what do you think of the advice below? Sunlight, vinegar and a little bleach? I think I have some urine off from an earlier tragedy but I'm not positive.

Quote Originally Posted by rpottsl View Post
    Bleach might wreck the paddign and/or upholstery so test a small spot first. I recommend 1 part white vinegar to one part water in a spray bottle. Soak the s#*$ out of it and yes, put it in the sun. White Vinegar does all kinds of cool stuff, it's cheap and earth friendly yes, your project will smell like a giant pickle, that will go away when it dries up. The same mix gets out all kinds of stains too (sorry, not grease or rust), I use it all over my house. I think there's some website where there's way more info. I'm kinda new here so idk if it's ok to post that stuff or not...

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast