Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: How to remove mouse smell from cab of farm truck?

Sixdogs,

I like the truck project plan. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make-up a temporary rigging for your front-end loader to move and stabilize the dual rear axles? You wouldn't have to lift them, just something to roll them back and forth, in and out of position, and keep the partial frame from flopping up and down.

Speaking of olives, my son works in an Italian restaurant that takes their cooking seriously. Each year they get a number of different brands/production runs of olive oil and select the one they think is best, then order enough of that for the whole year to get a consistent flavor and quality. My son says the same as OldMcDonald about the olive oil trade in general. Also, once you open a can or bottle, it begins to oxidize and lose taste quality, like wine but more slowly.

Do you think most people would pick out a real big quality difference when olive oil is incorporated into a dish, unless they have sort of trained their taste palette for that as a chef has? It sure tastes better with a good oil, but it may be that most people don't put their finger on the oil. It is more noticeable when used as a prominent ingredient such as bread dip, or over sliced tomatoes and mozzarella.

I bet most of us here don't know the difference unless we came from S. Europe/Mediterranean roots. I know I don't.

I sure didn't learn anything about olive oil from my Mom. There was vegetable oil and solidified vegetable oil, like Crisco. Those were the cooking and baking choices. She never used lard much at all. And I don't recall ever seeing a bottle of olive oil in the house.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TCE45

dave, Like wine I find there are some oils I like and some I do not. Before we came here it bothered us that we did not like the oil we bought in Britain, almost exclusively supposedly Italian, but some Greek. We had not used it until we decided we were going to move to Spain or here. I do not like Italian wine either, never had a bottle I enjoyed, and I have had quite a few - just in case I am missing something. So Italy was off the list, but I had never had a Spanish wine I did not like, nor Portuguese. I have now had some Portuguese wines I do not like, but still not a Spanish one, and I have bought some cheapies. I do keep trying to find one.

The one year supply your son's restaurant buys makes sense. It does not improve or keep for years as wine does, even in a sealed bottle. It should preferably be used by the time of the next harvest. I am sure that almost everybody is unable to pick out different oils from the same area, or same cultivarspick at the same stage of maturity. My wife (who has a particularly good palate for wine) and I cannot. Our old grove olives all went for table use, and when they were killed by frost we had only five trees left, so we bought Portuguese oil from the start. We found a brand that we liked, and stuck with it. They make several different oils - all extra virgin here on supermarket shelves because it is easy enough to buy lower grade from anyone with trees if it is wanted for deep frying, and we cannot tell the difference amongst them, although we do use it mainly for cooking purposes. We do not eat salads. That is why I said to sixdogs that if you are happy with the oil at the price then does it matter if it contains some higher acid oil? The oil I have had back from the mill we use (not the nearest but recommended to us) is a mixture of many small growers' olives and I find that is particularly good, probably due to the quality control of the mill. They will be making oil for us when our production increases. Hopefully the 2014 harvest.

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

OldMc
    Great olive oil info.

Dave1949
    Moving with tractor probably wouldn't work. I have done similar things in the past and it was too difficult to control the exact movements required. The solution for me was to get a local shop involved that has sox or eight car guys that can life, push and pull whenever required. My ducks are in a row so we should start cutting next week.

Some of the issues to resolve were just how to make a cut, what type of frame insert and how to shape it so the weld doesn't become a fatigue problem. Also, does the frame patch get bolted as well? I think I have it all figured out (change that to "hope") and will start a separate thread when it gets going.

On the growing up with olive oil--I did and I'm still not over it. Perfect on salad but also used to clean ears and a host of other medicinal issues. Apparently it worked.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    OldMc
    Great olive oil info.

Dave1949
    Moving with tractor probably wouldn't work. I have done similar things in the past and it was too difficult to control the exact movements required. The solution for me was to get a local shop involved that has sox or eight car guys that can life, push and pull whenever required. My ducks are in a row so we should start cutting next week.

Some of the issues to resolve were just how to make a cut, what type of frame insert and how to shape it so the weld doesn't become a fatigue problem. Also, does the frame patch get bolted as well? I think I have it all figured out (change that to "hope") and will start a separate thread when it gets going.

On the growing up with olive oil--I did and I'm still not over it. Perfect on salad but also used to clean ears and a host of other medicinal issues. Apparently it worked.
    Wish I could be there to get in the way and hand you the wrong tools I'll watch for the thread.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Wish I could be there to get in the way and hand you the wrong tools I'll watch for the thread.
    Well, I am, in a sense farming the grunt work out to a local shop. I'll be 100% involved but going to watch from afar when the wheels come forward.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    Well, I am, in a sense farming the grunt work out to a local shop. I'll be 100% involved but going to watch from afar when the wheels come forward.
    And take pictures!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    And take pictures!
    Since I'll be standing back and encouraging the others, pictures should be a snap.
    In a way there is sort of a nervous apprehension about this. Like on a bungee jump tower debating the issue.
    Since failure is not an option, I'll start the thread after I have a few pictures of progress.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

I can certainly understand being nervous about it! I know that I would be. And I'm not sure if it would be more stressful letting someone else do it, or attempting to do it one's self.

I look forward to the thread!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I can certainly understand being nervous about it! I know that I would be. And I'm not sure if it would be more stressful letting someone else do it, or attempting to do it one's self.

I look forward to the thread!
    New thread soon but here's the newly shortened truck.
    Oddly, the mouse smell is gone but my mind's eye still smells that vinegar and water.

-021-jpg

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Neat. The proportions look right for your goal.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast