Mowing Brush hogging rates

/ Brush hogging rates #1  

johnems

Bronze Member
I have a neighbor who want me to brush hog his property that is next to mine. He has officered to pay me to do this. I am running Kubot 3050 with a 6 feet brush hog mower. I do not want to over charge him but I do not want to give this away. At any rate what seems to be the going rate for brush hogging.

I figure my cost to be

2 gallons or fuel per hour at $5.00 per gallon
I have a 400 hour service coming up soon so and I am figuring that to be $400.00
New Blades on the Brush hog 140.00

Does say $20.00 per hour seam reasonable. I know I need to figure my time per hour into this. I am just trying to figure my cost. Is my thoughts on cost reasonable or am I out of line. Thanks John

Thanks John

/ Brush hogging rates #2  
Most charge $60-80/hr for machine and operator. You could cut him some slack at $45-50/hr. If you want to protect yourself and him/his property you need insurance against liability in case you throw a rock and do property damage or personal injury. No insurance- something goes wrong, you are on the hook.

/ Brush hogging rates #3  
Someplace on here is your mowing speed and cutting width. Using this you could figure your time. Insurance or risk could be your biggest cost here. If you are to high there is always someone with a 2N and a five foot bushog and no insurance. Ask him what it is worth to him.

/ Brush hogging rates #4  
Ya.. around $75 per hour seems to be about right.. Could always say $75 first hour, $45 per hour after to give the 'neighbor rate'. Remember, if it hasnt been hogged in awhile, the first time will be the toughest and slowest..

/ Brush hogging rates #6  
Where I live, we charge by the acre. I charge $20 / $25 a acre if it's just pasture growth with out stumps and holes. If it has a lot of under growth the price goes up.

/ Brush hogging rates #7  
My rates typically work out to between $35 and $50 per acre. Some are a little more, some a little less.

Size of the field has alot to do with it. Obviously I cannot cut a 1/2 acre plot that is 30 minutes away for $17.50-$25:laughing:

But when it comes to pricing, I bid by the job. One flat price I tell a customer, take it or leave it. I dont charge by the hour, or by the acre. Because every acre is different. And by the hour, the customer always asks "how long do you think it will take". And if you go over.....:mur:

So when I price, I like to get $50 per hour from my drive, back to my drive, with a $150 minimum if I have to trailer, and a $100 minimum if within 4 miles or so and I just drive the tractor. So if I have a job an hour away, and one acre, its $150 for that 1 acre.

Other things to consider (and since this is your neighbor you should know), when is the last time it was hogged?? That is the first question I always ask. Cause thats a good indication of how dense the vegetation is and how slow you need to go. Also a good indication of weather there is any junk laying in the field.

Now all that said, when I do work for a neighbor or someone I know, I never name a price. I just tell them to pay me what they think its worth. And how much they pay, tells me alot about what kind of person, neighbor, or friend they are. Only you know the circumstances and weather you consider this guy a "friend" or not. I personally dont like making money (profit) off of my friends. Just so long as I make enough to cover my expenses, I am happy.

/ Brush hogging rates #8  
i dont know how big the place is he is wanting you to shredd.but around here i figure $15 or $20 an acre for shredding.smaller places like 1 to 10acs would be more.

/ Brush hogging rates #9  
Someplace on here is your mowing speed and cutting width. Using this you could figure your time.

MPH X width divided by 10 will give you a per acre per hour estimate that allows for breaks that will come very close to reality. 4 mph & 6' width = 2.4 acres per hr. On that size tractor & cutter I think $45-$50 per hr should be plenty.

/ Brush hogging rates #10  
MPH X width divided by 10 will give you a per acre per hour estimate that allows for breaks that will come very close to reality.

Have to remember this one. I just checked it against my known figures of A/H. You are right it is close with a little play room.