Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas?

/ Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas? #1  

RBnGA

Tractor
Long 460, JD5045E
After replacing a sheared bolt at the cutter differential the pto stalls at normal ground cutting speed. The unit will cut at the slowest ground speed possible but stalls within a couple of feet after returning to normal speed. The pto has a clutch. My dealer recommended that I tighten the clutch adjustment bolts 2 rounds each to keep clutch from slipping. Bolts are now fully tight. Unit still stalls after this adjustment. Any idea what's wrong? Should the clutch be disassembled, cleaned and readjusted? My tractor is a JD 5045E. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
RB

Last edited:
   / Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas? #2  
Just a guess but sounds like you might have wore out the clutch pads. If it was slipping and you didn't realize it I think that will be you issue. Take off the whole PTO shaft and take it to the dealer. They should have someone to look and see your issue. The "stalling" sounds like it was/is the clutch slipping, clutches won't last very long at all if they are slipping when your mowing. Your dealer should be able to re-build your clutch for a nominal fee. Clutched don't need to slip just mowing, they need to slip when you hit something "big" like a log or run it into a dirt mound. Good luck.

/ Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas? #3  
I'll 2nd worn out clutch plates.

/ Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas? #4  
The tractor PTO stalls? ... or the bushog stalls with the PTO shaft still spinning?

/ Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas?
The tractor PTO stalls? ... or the bushog stalls with the PTO shaft still spinning?

The bush hog stalls. Upon starting the pto turns at full speed then as the tractor moves forward the pto rotates slower and slower and slower until eventually nothing is being cut.

The bushog stalls-as the tractor moves forward the pto operating the bushog turns slower and slower and slower until nothing is being cut.

/ Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas? #7  
The bushog stalls-as the tractor moves forward the pto operating the bushog turns slower and slower and slower until nothing is being cut.

Yep sounds like the guys that said your slip clutch plates are toast, Or you have a broken shear pin someplace. If you have the owners manual It should tell you how to properly adjust the slip clutch and also make sure that it slips properly. The worst possible outcome If it was seized up and you hit something hard you could have broken a a shaft in the trans.

Yep sounds like the guys that said your slip clutch plates are toast, Or you have a broken shear pin someplace. If you have the owners manual It should tell you how to properly adjust the slip clutch and also make sure that it slips properly. The worst possible outcome If it was seized up and you hit something hard you could have broken a a shaft in the trans.

Ok I hope that the clutch is fried and not the shaft. Thanks for the reply.
RB

/ Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas? #9  
Ok I hope that the clutch is fried and not the shaft. Thanks for the reply.
RB

No problem didn't mean to scare you More than likely its the clutch. i think its usually the smaller compacts that break the shafts. Your tractor is big enough that you probably would have turned the pto shaft into a pretzel first

/ Land Pride 6' bushog 2 yrs old pto stalling-troubleshooting ideas? #10  
To test the slip clutch They tell you at the start of the season to back the springs off until they spin freely. Then fire up the pto for a few seconds. The brush hog blades should not turn if they do the clutch plates have seized due to corrosion between the semi-metalic friction plates and the steel plates. this process of loosening the springs should help free them up. Same thing can happen on older dry clutch transmissions. Ive seen guys who recommend blocking clutch pedals on these tractors so they don't freeze up.

The fact that you broke a bolt is cause for some concern and would generally indicate that the clutches were not slipping. I missed that before