What is a fair price for disking 15 acres?

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #21  
I wouldn't haul a tractor for less than $1.50 per mile as a business. I get .75 per mile just for equipment inspection running unloaded.

Tractor rates start at $50 per hour around here for a 5' brush cutter and a 30 hp tractor, most want $65 to $70 per hour for larger machines. When I hired out years ago the going rate was $65 per hour for a back hoe and operator... that was 10 years ago when fuel was 50% less too.

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #22  
I would take my own hydraulic cylinder with me and swap it out on the disk. Just a couple of pins to pull and no risk of contamination. If you are in the business, I assume you have at least one hydraulic cylinder laying around. The other option would be to completely drain the lines and cylinder of fluid which would cost you a gallon so of fluid to replace.
I think you will do 2-3 acres per hour and may cut yourself short on the overall cost if you are doing just an hourly rate.
I would do it per acre at $50 per acre minimum rate + transport charges.

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #23  
I wouldn't haul a tractor for less than $1.50 per mile as a business. I get .75 per mile just for equipment inspection running unloaded.

Tractor rates start at $50 per hour around here for a 5' brush cutter and a 30 hp tractor, most want $65 to $70 per hour for larger machines. When I hired out years ago the going rate was $65 per hour for a back hoe and operator... that was 10 years ago when fuel was 50% less too.
Around here you can still (at least last year)get back hoe for $65 per hours and dozer (D6)work for $85.

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #24  
Anthing less than $1000.00 even for a friend and you will be losing money. You might not think so now but at the end of the year you will wonder why you didnt make any money that year. Let him get a couple of local price quotes. I would bet they would all be over $1000.00

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #25  
ouch for a $1000 i can get 20acs ready for grass.an thats 3 passes with the tractor an plowing disc an leveling plow an 1 more pass with the disc if needed.

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #26  
ouch for a $1000 i can get 20acs ready for grass.an thats 3 passes with the tractor an plowing disc an leveling plow an 1 more pass with the disc if needed.

I'll bet you could. Try calling someone 85 miles away to ask them to bring their machine and do it for you. See how well that goes for a thousand bucks

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #27  
thats the point i wouldnt call no 1 todo that.as most people that farm or run cattle has the equipment todo it.ive got the equipment an the tractors todo that.

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #28  
I always remind folks that they need to take into account cost of maintenance, repairs and replacement. You need to figure it in or you'll end up with broken and worn out equipment and no budget to repair or replace. When you take all your costs into account, it is not cheap to run a business. If you are doing it for a favor or fun, different story.

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #29  
thats the point i wouldnt call no 1 todo that.as most people that farm or run cattle has the equipment todo it.ive got the equipment an the tractors todo that.

That's not relevant to this topic. If the guy could do it himself, he wouldn't have asked for help.

/ What is a fair price for disking 15 acres? #30  
I like to keep things simple...
15 acres x $50 per acre = $750...
Transportation = 170 miles x 1.50 per loaded mile = $255...
You are looking @ $1K...
That seems like a lot but I assure you it is not...
If he is a friend you could do it for less but if you do it real cheap he will want you to do something else cheap...
My neighbor cuts the hay on our farm and runs a trucking, asphalt, and grading company also...
He hauls me a 15 ton load of stone and charges $100 for the haul bill...
To me that is reasonable...
You can't run equipment for nothing...