Tractor
    massey fergusen 245

Default MF 245 Smokes

I am new to this forum and tractors in general. I am looking at buying a 1980 MF245 from a good friend. Its a diesel that runs great but smokes white smoke and smells like fuel, burns the eyes. He said he has replaced the injectors. What else can I check. BTW he is asking 5000 with a front end loader. Can any one of you help me out?

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: MF 245 Smokes

Make sure the headgasket is not leaking allowing coolant into the cylinder. If that's unburnt fuel, the check the airfilter for restriction. next would be a compression check and then the injectors and pump.

Tractor
    massey fergusen 245

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/MT View Post
    Make sure the headgasket is not leaking allowing coolant into the cylinder. If that's unburnt fuel, the check the airfilter for restriction. next would be a compression check and then the injectors and pump.
    Thanks for the help. I'll check

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    MF5465

You have a leaking head gasket. Water is getting into the cylinder and out the exhaust.Don't try to start the tractor as you risk hydraulicing the engine and doing major damage. Also ,when your friend started the tractor did the engine hesitate as it fired up?, if so that is another symptom of leaking head gasket. I was driving a JD 6920 that developed this problem on the job, I was told don't stop the engine until I got back to the yard. (keeping the engine running meant the water couldn't build up and hydraulic the engine.)

Tractor
    massey fergusen 245

Quote Originally Posted by redman135 View Post
    You have a leaking head gasket. Water is getting into the cylinder and out the exhaust.Don't try to start the tractor as you risk hydraulicing the engine and doing major damage. Also ,when your friend started the tractor did the engine hesitate as it fired up?, if so that is another symptom of leaking head gasket. I was driving a JD 6920 that developed this problem on the job, I was told don't stop the engine until I got back to the yard. (keeping the engine running meant the water couldn't build up and hydraulic the engine.)
    thank you for the help. I decided to buy another tractor, Ford 3910, but I will pass this info on to my friend.