How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series?

/ How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series? #1  

mbleill

I am considering buying a front mounted mower 4x4 mower for my hilly property. How reliable are the different brands. I have looked at new Holland and Kubota. Any thoughts on others that I should consider? Reliability?

/ How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series? #2  
P1010001.JPGI have a New Holland MC 28. I have had it for over 10 years and I think it's the Cadillac of Mowers.

Last edited:
   / How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series? #3  
I have a JD front mower that is over 10 years old. It is not 4wd. When I was shopping I also looked at Kubota. But could not get close to the JD price. Have had almost zero problems. The NH looked good at the time but no dealers close by.

/ How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series? #4  
My TORO Groundsmaster is 17 years old, still going strong! You definitely want 4 wheel drive.

I use car ramps to access the blades.
P6220005.JPG

Mowing the back of the dam, a 2 to 1 slope.
P5250002.JPG P5250004.JPG P5250008.JPG

There a lot of used commercial out front deck mowers on eBay.

/ How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series?
Thanks for the photos and information. I have a small vineyard with over 500 grape vines on the side of a hill that I have to mow between. I will definitely check out eBay.

/ How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series? #6  
Check out the threads on the F series down in the Kubota Lawn & Garden section. I have over 950 hours on my first F3680 and am trading for a second. Have not seen the NH front mount mowers around here but then again not too many other brands.

/ How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series? #7  
My Kubota F2260 (1998 Model) has almost 1300 hours on it. Last week I thought I was going to have to make my first ever repair on it (excluding normal scheduled maintenance). I turned the key and nothing happened. I checked the battery. It was good. I thought safety start switches. Long story short, the ground cable had come loose. Tightened it up and away I went. Another thing to consider is fuel economy. I purchased a new Ferris with a Yanmar engine for my other place. Great machine, but consumes about twice as much diesel fuel per hour as my Kubota. At half a gallon per hour more times 1300 hours and $4.00 per gallon, the Kubota would save me $2,600. If I would have known this when I purchased the Ferris, I would have looked harder at a new Kubota zero turn.

OrangeGuy

/ How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series? #8  
My Kubota F2260 (1998 Model) has almost 1300 hours on it. Last week I thought I was going to have to make my first ever repair on it (excluding normal scheduled maintenance). I turned the key and nothing happened. I checked the battery. It was good. I thought safety start switches. Long story short, the ground cable had come loose. Tightened it up and away I went. Another thing to consider is fuel economy. I purchased a new Ferris with a Yanmar engine for my other place. Great machine, but consumes about twice as much diesel fuel per hour as my Kubota. At half a gallon per hour more times 1300 hours and $4.00 per gallon, the Kubota would save me $2,600. If I would have known this when I purchased the Ferris, I would have looked harder at a new Kubota zero turn.

OrangeGuy
You need to find a place to buy off road diesel, $3.49 a gallon, on road $3.79, at the same station.

I just filled my off road tank last week.
P5310024.JPG P7090001.JPG

/ How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series? #9  
Try a Ventrac the best Billy Goat in the biz.

Attachments

• 2013_0718Ventrac0003.jpg
    2013_0718Ventrac0003.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 384
  • 2013_0825ventractop0019.jpg
    2013_0825ventractop0019.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 390
  • 2013_0718Ventrac0004.jpg
    2013_0718Ventrac0004.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 319
   / How reliable are front mounted mowers? New Holland MC vs. Kubota F series?
Thanks Murf, It looks like it could be just what I am looking for. Is it a diesel? Can you tell me a ball park number that they sell for? Do you recommend a dealer? I live in south western Ohio but will be moving to south eastern Indiana near Brookville, IN.
Thanks, Mike