Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tractor
    JD 790

Default Re: How much to pay neighbor-labor

Do what someone did when my wife and I did them a favor, slip a gift certificate in the mailbox.

It was a nice gesture on their part, I wouldn't have accepted money and they still saved big $$$ on what it would have cost them so I didn't feel bad.

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

There has been some very good suggestions. I have a neighbor or two that just help each other. If I need anything, they help. If they need anything, I help.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    MH744

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My neighbor works at a sand mine and offered to bring home an excavator and dig a pond for me. He did this last weekend. He spent 10 hours. I paid the $300 delivery and pick up fee for the machine. Although he said he doesn't want anything, I want to pay him something. Any ideas? The going price for machine and operator in this area is $85. )</font>

In the past, have you ever made some money from someones/neighbours/friends/etc in that way your neighbor wants to do now? So, you must know what to do already. No, you don't know? Shall I help you on what to do on your neighbor&amp;payment case now?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

I tend to agree with Lawman .
    I do some building for folks around here . and the offer of cash makes me uncomfortable personally . I did it as a favor ,and I like doing it . If you feel obligated to "pay" something , a gift certificate or something of that nature with a thank you card would go a long way to show your appreciation . That, and I'm sure He'll welcome some help when He has a task that requires a bit of help . Also. money exchange turns neighbors and freinds into Clients/customers . Personally I find it better to keep them as freinds and neighbors [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]John

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    TC35D/16LA

He may have an arrangement whre he works that he can use the machine, but NOT for income producing jobs. Where I used to work, guys were always welcome to borrow staging, lifts, and specialty tools for personal use, but the company didn't allow the equipment to be used for the employees moonlighting career. Maybe he's afraid of word getting out if he accepts payment.

The previous advise is excellent....a good deed, a gift, maybe show up some evening, pick them up and take them out for a special dinner and cocktails. That kind of thing goes a long way.

ps: your lucky to have such helpful neighbors.

Tractor
    JD4700HST

<font color="blue"> Also. money exchange turns neighbors and freinds into Clients/customers . Personally I find it better to keep them as freinds and neighbors </font>

This is exactly the way I look at it. I also agree with a lot of the other posts about not giving cash, but to determine what he could use.

An example of how this worked for me a week ago is this. A friend that has a Small engine repair business, got a virus on his computer. I went over that evening, spent around 3 hours, removing virus, showing him how to help protect his computer etc. for the future. I told him that I didn't want anything, I was glad to help him out.

So he brings me out back and shows me an old Bolens Tiller that will fit the Bolens lawn mower/tractor that I had purchased from him during the summer. What does he want for it? Nothing, Glad to help me out.

So I tell him that the tiller is worth a lot more than what I did for him. He tells me that the Computer work is worth a lot more than that old tiller.

Now I didn't want anything. And would have felt just fine without anything. But if there is something that I can use, great.

Just seems to work out that way sometimes.

Tractor
    Iseki TU1700f

A thank you card.
    An offer to do tractor play, I mean work, for him.
    An exclusive offer of being the second person that gets permission to fish the pond!!!!

Tractor
    JD 4610 ehydro MFWD

That's the way it is here too, Jerry. I don't hesitate to ask for their help and they don't for mine.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1999 Kubota L4310 HST 4WD, R4 Tires, Folding ROPS, Kubota Canopy

Don't give him money if he has already turned it down. That would be insulting. Do something for him that he likes and can appreciate the effort. For examle a attorney friend of mine did $20k of free work for me and my community. He did it as a friend and does not need the money. The highlight of his year was when we pitched togehter and bought him a "beer of the month club" membership to have a case of international beers delivered to his office every month for a year. I knew he was home brewer and that this was a perfect gift for him.

Beer of the Month Club

Hope this helps.
    -Roger

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

seems like he did it as a favor and a nice thing to do. being as he already refused cash, i would get him a gift certificate for something that he might like. lets him know you are grateful and appreciate his time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast