How much to pay neighbor-labor

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #1  

tld

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2025r
My neighbor works at a sand mine and offered to bring home an excavator and dig a pond for me. He did this last weekend. He spent 10 hours. I paid the $300 delivery and pick up fee for the machine. Although he said he doesn't want anything, I want to pay him something. Any ideas? The going price for machine and operator in this area is $85.

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #3  
A middlen rate in CASH /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #4  
If he won't take any money for the labor, maybe you could work out a barter arrangement where you provide him with a day's labor using your tractor or doing anything else you know how to do. I have a similar unwritten agreement with my neighbor- If he needs tractor work done I do it, and if I break my tractor he gets out his welder and fixes it for me.

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #5  
Don't give him money, he didn't want it. It sounds to me that he did this as a favor, a gift, a friendly gesture. If you want to give him something as a thank-you, give him something that he would enjoy separate from money. Like a gift certificate to a good restaurant or to a clothing or outdoor store that he likes.
Michael

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #6  
The going rate would include the delivery fees. A fare price would be the $850 - $300 so about $550. Now that assumes that it is that person's equipment. If it wasn't his equipment then a good operator's hourly wage will be in the $20-30 plus range. My take would be if it wasn't his equipment and you're paying cash $200 would be pretty fair. If it's his equipment I'd pay him $50 an hour.

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #7  
$85 an hour machine and operator. You paid $300 delivery and pick up. Did machine rental cost anything?
If not, and he is like me, it is nice to get something.
I have done work similar and not wanted anything in return, usually mechanical work.
I did some work for my neighbor and said he didn't owe me anything. He said " are you sure?" I said yep.
It was nice he got me a Sears $100 gift certificate and a $20 restuarant certificate.
He didn't have to do that, but it was nice.

I guess what I am rambling on trying to say...If he refuses money send him something nice that he can use.

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #8  
I tend to agree with Hambone. Do something, but not necessarily money. He didn't want money. What does he like? I just gave a guy 24 heavy duty pallets in exchange for some work he did for me. He needed pallets, I had them, he got them. Money is not always the answer.

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #9  
I have to go along with no money. It really offends some folks when they are offering a kindness and you try to pay. I also agree with every one else though a gift is appropriate. I often send steaks or a box of BBQ from texas, a case of Micro brews or something of that sort. I dont do the gift certificates as its too much like money for some. Dave

/ How much to pay neighbor-labor #10  
I did some work for my neighbor spreading several loads of gravel on his driveway. When he asked how much he owed me, I told him nothing since we are close friends and I am sure he would be the first to do me a favor if I asked. Two days later I came home and there were five, 5-gallon containers of diesel fuel sitting in my driveway. Not only did I use the fuel, but every time I use one of those yellow diesel cans, I think of how nice he was to repay me and choose such a fitting form of payment. Just use your head, you'll figure out what to give him that will be a nice jesture. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif