Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4110 4WD HST

Default How much to pay neighbor-labor

My neighbor works at a sand mine and offered to bring home an excavator and dig a pond for me. He did this last weekend. He spent 10 hours. I paid the $300 delivery and pick up fee for the machine. Although he said he doesn't want anything, I want to pay him something. Any ideas? The going price for machine and operator in this area is $85.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 loaded!

Default Re: How much to pay neighbor-labor

Pay him the going rate. He will be there if you need further work done.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1986 Ford 1910 with 770B (FORD) loader, 4 MFWD; 1986 Bolens G214,back hoe,loader,MFWD (Iseki) 21 hp)

A middlen rate in CASH [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

If he won't take any money for the labor, maybe you could work out a barter arrangement where you provide him with a day's labor using your tractor or doing anything else you know how to do. I have a similar unwritten agreement with my neighbor- If he needs tractor work done I do it, and if I break my tractor he gets out his welder and fixes it for me.

Tractor
    Jinma 184

Don't give him money, he didn't want it. It sounds to me that he did this as a favor, a gift, a friendly gesture. If you want to give him something as a thank-you, give him something that he would enjoy separate from money. Like a gift certificate to a good restaurant or to a clothing or outdoor store that he likes.
    Michael

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

The going rate would include the delivery fees. A fare price would be the $850 - $300 so about $550. Now that assumes that it is that person's equipment. If it wasn't his equipment then a good operator's hourly wage will be in the $20-30 plus range. My take would be if it wasn't his equipment and you're paying cash $200 would be pretty fair. If it's his equipment I'd pay him $50 an hour.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2210

$85 an hour machine and operator. You paid $300 delivery and pick up. Did machine rental cost anything?
    If not, and he is like me, it is nice to get something.
    I have done work similar and not wanted anything in return, usually mechanical work.
    I did some work for my neighbor and said he didn't owe me anything. He said " are you sure?" I said yep.
    It was nice he got me a Sears $100 gift certificate and a $20 restuarant certificate.
    He didn't have to do that, but it was nice.

I guess what I am rambling on trying to say...If he refuses money send him something nice that he can use.

I tend to agree with Hambone. Do something, but not necessarily money. He didn't want money. What does he like? I just gave a guy 24 heavy duty pallets in exchange for some work he did for me. He needed pallets, I had them, he got them. Money is not always the answer.

Tractor
    JD 2210

I have to go along with no money. It really offends some folks when they are offering a kindness and you try to pay. I also agree with every one else though a gift is appropriate. I often send steaks or a box of BBQ from texas, a case of Micro brews or something of that sort. I dont do the gift certificates as its too much like money for some. Dave

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

I did some work for my neighbor spreading several loads of gravel on his driveway. When he asked how much he owed me, I told him nothing since we are close friends and I am sure he would be the first to do me a favor if I asked. Two days later I came home and there were five, 5-gallon containers of diesel fuel sitting in my driveway. Not only did I use the fuel, but every time I use one of those yellow diesel cans, I think of how nice he was to repay me and choose such a fitting form of payment. Just use your head, you'll figure out what to give him that will be a nice jesture. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast