NEW 1700 Ford Tractor owner...

/ NEW 1700 Ford Tractor owner... #1  

Red State

Bronze Member
Tractor
1700 and 600 Ford
Greetings, Not sure it there's a specific board for Ford 1700's or not because I'm new to the forum and am still learning my way around. I'm also a NEW and very much pleased owner of a '80 or '81 model 1700 Ford Tractor.

I love the strong, fast lift (up and down), I appreciate the compactness yet the reliable integrity of this fast starting, smooth idling diesel engine. As a large fellow, I'm not as thrilled with the space in which I'm "stuffed" but it is a comfortable tractor and very easy to operate (especially since it is similar to my Ford 600).

The only issue I've noticed with this tractor is in it getting hot (AFTER Bushogging some very tall weeds and small saplings). I'm in the MidSouth area so I attribute much to our heat and the the dry, dustiness we're experiencing. I didn't notice this until getting the tractor over on my hunting grounds and am sure that I need to give it an oil change and clean the breather out. I worked it very hard before putting it on the 5' weeds with a 5' bushog and I've checked for bubbles in the radiator and a milkiness to the oil. I have good clean oil and only a good, steady flow of clean, green coolant. I am also guilty of overflowing the radiator (as a precaution but since then have allowed the radiator to appear LOW....which is just over the radiator cells). I truly believe it will work miracles when the chaff, bugs, seeds and dust are free of the breathing and cooling of this tractor.

I am so thankful that my minor problems are not what I've read in many cases here at TBN and am really looking for wisdom in what kind of oil, oil filter, hydraulics and other things to service this wonderful lil' tractor and/or take precautions in preserving it for a very long time to come. I simply love the array of attachments it can work with and very much like the easy adjuster for the drop-down speed of the lift. I have two 5' bushogs, a 4' box blade/breaking plow combo, a hire, a sod buster, a plow and a hog lift that all came with my Ford 600. It has handle all very well so far (except for the sod buster and plow which I've yet to test on it). They are both larger (large enough for the 600 and I'm reluctant to use them on the smaller 1700.....although it seems stronger than the 600 in some ways).

Any advice, wisdom or experiences with your 1700 will be very much appreciated. I've found some owner's/operator's manuals on line so if I could be directed to some good sources for that, I'd certainly be in your debt. I realize that I'll have to narrow down what model this 1700 actually is so that I can match it to an owner/operator manual but, For now, just some info on what fluids and filters to use on it would help a great deal. I have some Walmart hydraulics that I got for my Ford 600 last year but I'm not sure if I should use it....or mix it with whatever the last owner used. The fluid is clean but it looks to be a bit low (not much just a bit). If anyone knows where I can get some lights for it, that would help as well. I've already found a brand new (FACTORY BLUE) seat for $69.oo so I will order that when I can.

As mentioned above, I'm a proud owner of a 1700 Ford Diesel (my first diesel tractor) and I'm particularly proud of the price for the tractor and 4' finishing mower that came with it. I'm the 3rd owner (three times a charm as it were) and suspect that the doctor and the person he gave it to treated it very well. The blue paint is in surprisingly good shape and the horn still works. Only thing is....the lights don't work and the off-white fenders need repainting. Other than that....she's a beauty and I'm so proud to have her!!!

I left a few questions within my "INTRODUCTION" page/thread but got only welcomes so I'm attempting to post things appropriately this time and have actually figured quite a number of things out for myself since I joined a few days ago (one of which was the adjustment for lowering speeds). Now, I actually seem to feel a LIFT of the tractor when I lower my box blade all the way down.

Thanks all! And thanks again to those who have already welcomed me to this forum.

/ NEW 1700 Ford Tractor owner... #2  
I have had my 1700 for 15+ years. I mostly post about it in the New Holland forum, there are several 1700 owners there. With regard to the running warm, there should be a screen in front of the radiator to keep the radiator clean. I usually need to clean it every couple of hours during brush hogging. One item that is often overlooked is changing the injector pump oil. Use the same oil as in your engine, I think the change interval is 250 hours, I just change every year or two. Also if you park the tractor outside make sure the the shifter boots are in good shape otherwise you can get water in the sump.

PS welcome to TBN :thumbsup: :welcome:

Last edited:
   / NEW 1700 Ford Tractor owner...
Thanks, that is helpful but I have actually cleaned the filter in front of the radiator several times while bushogging that jungle of mine. It doesn't do badly when it does burp some coolant BUT it didn't do it at all until I had it in all those tall weeds, dust and debris. The oil was changed just before I got it BUT I assumed that it needed changing while changing the air filter. If that is what is coming out of the hood then I'm sure it got really trashy while bushogging.

Say, what type hydraulics do you put in your 1700?

Thanks for the guidance and informing me as to where all the 1700 guys are. I'd read some posts there but forgot where I had ready them. Good idea about the shed....I plan to have one just for the tractor but I don't have one right now. I really like this tractor and plan on taking care of it.

So, unless you don't think that the slight overheating is because of a clogged air vent or something, I'll probably just take it easier on her from now on. Right now, I've gotta get new tires.....picked up a nail in the BEST back tire I had!!!! Why couldn't it have snagged the dry rot side. Apparently, the doctor had it in a shed with no side walls and you can tell the side that had no protection from the sun and elements. When I'm able, I'll send before and after shots of my tractor and how I've customized a few things (one of which will be to have a tool box and battery box in the front of the tractor and above the weights). 2/3rds of the radiator is blocked where they put the battery and the hood is already too tight around the engine. I truly believe they could have designed that better (especially given the tractor's habit of raising up when heavy loads are behind it).

Thanks again for the info and warm welcome.....right now, all I really need is to know what hydraulics needs to be stocked. I don't need it right now but I'd rather have it than not for when it is needed.

Have a good one!!! May repost this into the New Holland section.....